EN

Default Making a corner desk

Dear all, I have been looking to buy a corner office desk but can't seem to
find one the size I want so am wondering about making one. The dimensions I
want are about 120cm x 160cm (or thereabouts, exactness isn't crucial) but
the depth of the longest side needs to be 60 rather than the 80 they seem to
come as. Because of the size I thought a piece of worktop would be ideal,
joined in the usual kitchen way to make an L shape, but not sure how to do
the legs. C or I metal legs would be fine for the ends, but the bit in the
middle would be difficult, - can't have legs there or my own legs would be
bruised, - Iwant the computer to go in the L shaped bit. In the shops desks
have a strong metal frame to support the L or curve - is there another
solution? Has anyone done this successfully? (If so, how much would you
charge to make one for me?!!)

Thanks

Lobster

EN wrote:
Dear all, I have been looking to buy a corner office desk but can't
seem to find one the size I want so am wondering about making one.
The dimensions I want are about 120cm x 160cm (or thereabouts,
exactness isn't crucial) but the depth of the longest side needs to
be 60 rather than the 80 they seem to come as. Because of the size I
thought a piece of worktop would be ideal, joined in the usual
kitchen way to make an L shape, but not sure how to do the legs. C
or I metal legs would be fine for the ends, but the bit in the middle
would be difficult, - can't have legs there or my own legs would be
bruised, - Iwant the computer to go in the L shaped bit. In the
shops desks have a strong metal frame to support the L or curve - is
there another solution? Has anyone done this successfully? (If so,
how much would you charge to make one for me?!!)

I made a corner desk myself, using a metal frame which I had made for me
by a local engineering firm (found through yellow pages). It's made
from 0.75" steel square-section bar, and is massively strong.

In my case, the desk is built in to an alcove, and the back and long
side of the worktop are supported by timber battens screwed to the wall,
so just the front leg and top rail are made from steel. The free end of
the top rail locates in, and is supported by, a notch cut in one of the
battens.

I did a sketch of what I wanted fabricating in steel, then made up a
rough timber mock-up, using a bit of scrap timber to brace the corner
exactly at the correct angle - this was important because, living in an
old house, most of my corners weren't exactly 90 degrees so the welded
steel corners needed to be pretty precisely set up (you can't exactly
bend them to fit later!)

I hawked this round the local industrial estates, and the first
engineering firm I found was happy to take it on, and it certainly
wasn't exhorbitantly expensive. Tenner IIRC?, for an L-shape (ie with
one welded joint).

Good luck
David

Peter Crosland

Iwant the computer to go in the L shaped bit. In the shops desks
have a strong metal frame to support the L or curve - is there another
solution? Has anyone done this successfully?

My handyman simply used two lengths of 1" square steel tube set into battens
on the wall at each end. Worked a treat and is still here after twelve
years. Cheap quick and easy.

Peter Crosland

Harry Bloomfield

EN formulated the question :
Because of the size I thought a piece of worktop would be ideal,
joined in the usual kitchen way to make an L shape, but not sure how to do
the legs. C or I metal legs would be fine for the ends, but the bit in the
middle would be difficult, - can't have legs there or my own legs would be
bruised, - Iwant the computer to go in the L shaped bit.

If you intend to work in the corner of the L, then it might be better
to make it from three sections of worktop, such that the one in the
corner is at 45deg.

A couple of small filling cabinets, one either end can be used for
supporting the worktop.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Set Square

EN wrote:

[...]

Do you really want it L-shaped? If you use your worktop *diagonally* across
the corner, not only can you support it in places where it won't interfere
with your legs, but you will also have additional useful depth where you
need it.

[Have a look at http://www.mills37.plus.com/desk.JPG to see what I mean. I
did this when adapting some bedroom furniture to make a study for SWMBO].
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 2 May 2005 08:39:32 +0100, "EN" wrote:

Dear all, I have been looking to buy a corner office desk but can't seem to
find one the size I want so am wondering about making one.

Think "outside the box" - forget right angles, go triangular.

http://www.jarkman.co.uk/catalog/fur...rofoildesk.htm

Corner desks are easy if you wall mount them. Support from two
perpendicular walls means that you can have a top that would be far too
flimsy for free-standing use, yet it's rigid enough here to make a good
desk. Fewer parts and simple to make too.

Curving the front edge of an overall triangle also makes for good
ergonomics and something that definitely wasn't bought from Ikea.

The one on the picture is 1/2" MDF top, a few steel brackets and a piece
of steel box tube just behind the front edge. You can make it witth a
jigsaw and hand tools at minimum, although that one used a welder,
router and biscuit jointer too.

If you'd prefer it made for you, and you're in sensible delivery range
of Bristol, drop me an email.

EN

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2005 08:39:32 +0100, "EN" wrote:

Dear all, I have been looking to buy a corner office desk but can't
seem to find one the size I want so am wondering about making one.

Thank you all for the speedy replies, and what beautiful desks in the pics.

I should've explained better that I want to be able to move easily between
the bit in the corner that supports the pc to the longer side to use it as a
writing surface so having the corner supported on a cupboard etc wouldn't
work. I'd be constantly moving my chair in and out. I'll investigate the
metal frame suggestions further though, it looks as though this is going to
work out cheaper than expected though, so thanks for all the help.

Elizabeth

Alex

Spur shelving do a large wall bracket that will support a corner table,If I
remember I used 5 x 600mm brackets, the top was made from veneered mdf I
think 20mm it was designed for a reception area ,and the free movement of
legs under the table was paramount to the design,I had the top done at a
local joinery shop.Worked brilliantly