Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy Filler for Deck Boards

A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed
some rot. It's mostly in a few areas near the center of the 2X4
(perhaps heartwood where the CCA did not penetrate), and the general
strength doesn't seem to be a problem.

My wife has suggested that there is an epoxy filler that I could use to
restore the affected areas of the few boards. Anybody know of any such
a product, and where to get it?

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace
them, even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing work
to try to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

Rich (In Michigan)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
news
A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed some
rot. It's mostly in a few areas near the center of the 2X4 (perhaps
heartwood where the CCA did not penetrate), and the general strength
doesn't seem to be a problem.

My wife has suggested that there is an epoxy filler that I could use to
restore the affected areas of the few boards. Anybody know of any such a
product, and where to get it?

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace them,
even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing work to try
to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

Rich (In Michigan)

I would go for the new wood. If you epoxy the existing boards, you will
have to remove all the old rot and hope that it does not continue or the
epoxy will eventually come out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee valley sells a kit which includes both low and high viscosity epoxy
products as a filler. I have purchased it and used it for some minor repairs
to trim on my 150 year old house. It's pricey and much more appropriate for
a painted application and where replacement is a really big deal.

I vote for replacing the boards.

-Steve

"Rich" wrote in message
news
A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed some
rot. It's mostly in a few areas near the center of the 2X4 (perhaps
heartwood where the CCA did not penetrate), and the general strength
doesn't seem to be a problem.

My wife has suggested that there is an epoxy filler that I could use to
restore the affected areas of the few boards. Anybody know of any such a
product, and where to get it?

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace them,
even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing work to try
to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

Rich (In Michigan)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:
A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed
some rot. It's mostly in a few areas near the center of the 2X4
(perhaps heartwood where the CCA did not penetrate), and the general
strength doesn't seem to be a problem.

My wife has suggested that there is an epoxy filler that I could
use to restore the affected areas of the few boards. Anybody know
of any such a product, and where to get it?

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace
them, even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing
work to try to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

BoatLife's Git Rot works well particularly if the wood is pretty
punky...
http://www.boatlife.com/howto.cfm

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 7:48 am, "Leon" wrote:

I would go for the new wood. If you epoxy the existing boards, you will have to remove all the old rot and hope that it does not continue or the epoxy will eventually come out.

Yup. After all, the epoxy is just dried resin, and unless treated or
coated, it has no UV resistance of its own unless of course it is that
gawdawfully expensive marine grade stuff. But even then, if you have
any debris in the crack that would prevent complete adhesion, it could
easily crack and come out of the voids.

Get a board larger in width than you need. Take it outside, put it in
the shade in a flat place with the end weighted down. Leave it out a
few months to season and dry out. Rip to fit. It will still shrink,
so you can probably rip it just tight enough to get it in and be OK in
the long run.

When re-coating, go to the next darker color and no one will know
what you did.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 8:30 am, Rich wrote:
A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed
some rot. It's mostly in a few areas near the center of the 2X4
(perhaps heartwood where the CCA did not penetrate), and the general
strength doesn't seem to be a problem.

My wife has suggested that there is an epoxy filler that I could use to
restore the affected areas of the few boards. Anybody know of any such
a product, and where to get it?

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace
them, even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing work
to try to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

Rich (In Michigan)

Replacing the planks once takes less time than fixing them twice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On May 8, 8:30 am, Rich wrote:
A couple of boards on my 25 year old CCA treated deck have developed
some rot.

I'm more inclined to pull up the two or three bad boards and replace
them, even though it will entail more work, and a lot of finishing work
to try to match a 25 year weathered adjacent surface.

Suggestions?

Rich (In Michigan)

Replacing the planks once takes less time than fixing them twice.

I appreciate everyone's counsel! Replace the boards it will be!

Rich