Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Did they get one right? A shop vac test

In the dark recesses of my memory I seem to remember Leon saying a
while back he was pleasantly surprised with a new "scroll technology"
shop vac from Ridgid.

We have had a lot of flooding in the area here the last few days, and
due to the saturated ground not holding any more water, my sunken den
got it on the last rain. About a 1/2 or so of water was in the den
before I knew it.

All water extractors are rented now for the month since we have had so
much rain. So I tried one of my old shop vacs, but it has been in the
job so long it doesn't pull much air, and it leaks so much that it
really is only good for big sawdust. It was pitiful.

So with no extractors available, down to HD I go. I saw the "new,
quiet scroll technology" proudly emblazoned on the box. Since HD is
so good about taking things back, I thought why not... it isn't like I
have a plan B on this.

Got it home an plugged it in and away I went. Much to my disbelief,
it is probably only half as loud as a regular shop vac. To my
astonishment, it has so much suction that with the utility nozzle on
it, it pulled as much water out of the carpet as a water extractor!
No kiddin!

This thing really sucks hard. Not the normal way that things from HD
suck, but in a good way. It pulled out about 13 - 14 gallons of water
out of carpet, not off vinyl or tile, in just about 20 minutes. And
it left it as dry as the extractor I normally use.

It may break tomorrow and I'll be ****ed and rail out against HD, and
then give corporate America a good cussin' too, but for today it is
working quite well. So if you are looking for a good vac, or a second
vac (since all the Feins and Festools are now no doubt dedicated to
the new Domino machines) put this one on the list for a test drive. I
think it's a helluva deal for about $100.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 6:08 pm, "
wrote:
[snip]
put this one on the list for a test drive. I
think it's a helluva deal for about $100.

Does it have 'by-pass' cooling? IOW, is there a fan just to cool the
motor, or does it use the airflow from the regular impellor?

One the big deals about the Fein, is that you can completely block the
suction, like when you're using it as a hold-down, or veneer-vacuum-
bag, without overheating the motor.
Does it have a model number?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
In the dark recesses of my memory I seem to remember Leon saying a
while back he was pleasantly surprised with a new "scroll technology"
shop vac from Ridgid.

Nope, it was not me, but thanks for the report. I'll keep'er in mind should
I decide to return to using a shop vac.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 3, 6:08 pm, "
wrote:
[snip]
put this one on the list for a test drive. I
think it's a helluva deal for about $100.

Does it have 'by-pass' cooling? IOW, is there a fan just to cool the
motor, or does it use the airflow from the regular impellor?

One the big deals about the Fein, is that you can completely block the
suction, like when you're using it as a hold-down, or veneer-vacuum-
bag, without overheating the motor.
Does it have a model number?

Heck, my old Craftsman has a separate fan for the motor. Unfortunately I
think it gets its air from the suction in take. LOL. Their heart was in
the right place. ;~) I remember back in the mid 70's when catalectic
converters were new and while looking under a new Ford setting on a lift I
noticed 1 catalectic converter on the right side exhaust. No catalectic
converter on the left side exhaust. I guess they were confused about how a
catalectic converter was suppose to work. Or maybe only the right side of
the engine worked and the left side did not work at all. Yeah! that
explains why the hp ratings in the 70's sucked. See how I came back to the
original subject. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 5:32 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Does it have 'by-pass' cooling? IOW, is there a fan just to cool the motor, or does it use the airflow from the regular impellor?

I am almost sure there is no other motor. And at that price point I
would be surprised if there was.

One the big deals about the Fein, is that you can completely block the suction, like when you're using it as a hold-down, or veneer-vacuum- bag, without overheating the motor.

I would seriously doubt this machine would do that. It would draw
down the vacuum, but I can't see it holding or maintaining it. You
can tell when it was pumping water out of the carpet and pad it was
higher pitch, like the old style arrangement of these vacs. It never
strained or got hot, but then it never ran more than 15 - 20 minutes
at a time as I hade to dump out the water. But it worked like that
for an hour just fine, at the higher pitch because I had the utility
head planted squarely on the wet carpet.

The thing I still can't get over is that the machine is so much
quieter than my old 16 or 18 gallon vac. I hate that POS. And the
amount of air moved by this unit will genuinely blow off tools well
and clean off the shop floor, so you could actually use it for a
blower.

It also has a 20 ft cord on it (not a ten!), the Ridgid lifetime
warrantly (for whatever that is actually worth), and a clip
arrangement on the hose connection to the machine called a "tug along"
so you can pull the cannister around with the hose without being
disconnected. It comes with a three ply pleated filter that is
washable, too.

The off/on and the drain at the bottom of the cannister are large and
will easily operate with gloves on. Gloved operation is important to
me from time to time. I buy the nitrile gloves at HF by the hundreds
- literally - for wet fungus growing insulation, moldy wet sheetrock,
and pretty much anything else that is dark colored, smells really bad
and is gooey.

Does it have a model number?

It is the WD1450, a 14 gallon shop 6 hp vac marked as a
"professional". There is a 14 gal that doesn't have the scroll drive,
but is the same as the Sears, etc. and no scroll drive. You will know
that one as it is cheaper.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Thanks for the review. I will save it for future reference.

This thing really sucks hard. Not the normal way that things from HD
suck, but in a good way.

The above statement could be interperted a dozen different ways.

As an old marketing guy, I just kept hearing a line from a commercial for
this vacuum cleaner.

"It sucks hard, but in a good way."

The problem with that line is that nobody would be thinking of shop
equipment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 8:36 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
wrote in message

Thanks for the review. I will save it for future reference.

This thing really sucks hard. Not the normal way that things from HD suck, but in a good way.

The above statement could be interperted a dozen different ways.

As an old marketing guy, I just kept hearing a line from a commercial for this vacuum cleaner.

"It sucks hard, but in a good way."

The problem with that line is that nobody would be thinking of shop equipment.

Ambiguity and double entendre completely intended. ;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

It may break tomorrow and I'll be ****ed and rail out against HD, and
then give corporate America a good cussin' too, but for today it is
working quite well.

I bought a different model (not scroll technology) a couple of years ago,
but I've been every bit as pleased. Its much quieter and "screamless"
compared to previous shop vacs. Mine was 16 gallon and included "throw in"
stinger model to boot for $65. I've used it a lot, as well.

Get one of those orange, long super flexible vac hoses and a Grizzly remote
control and I bet you'll use it all the time all over the shop.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

wrote in message

Thanks for the review. I will save it for future reference.

This thing really sucks hard. Not the normal way that things from HD
suck, but in a good way.

The above statement could be interperted a dozen different ways.

As an old marketing guy, I just kept hearing a line from a commercial for
this vacuum cleaner.

"It sucks hard, but in a good way."

The problem with that line is that nobody would be thinking of shop
equipment.

There is a central vacuum installation company here (Atlanta) that
uses as a tagline on its radio ads "Our business really sucks"

Shop Vac dadiOH Home Repair 6 February 12th 06 01:02 PM
Shop Vac Edwin Pawlowski Home Repair 0 February 11th 06 05:31 PM
Which shop vac? Doug Kanter Woodworking 26 November 30th 05 04:15 AM
big shop vac for central vac habbi Metalworking 12 March 1st 05 02:25 AM
Shop Vac or Shop Pro ? Daniel Martin Woodworking 5 November 7th 03 10:20 PM