Posted to rec.woodworking

Default General Tools on big sale at Redmond

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/newsletter_pg2.htm

Some of these are pretty good deals...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/newsletter_pg2.htm

Some of these are pretty good deals...

No kidding. General 690 bandsaw for $1200?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/newsletter_pg2.htm

Some of these are pretty good deals...

Just glad they ain't local....can't afford any new toys, er ah tools
right now

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
WD wrote:

On Thu, 03 May 2007 18:27:17 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/newsletter_pg2.htm

Some of these are pretty good deals...

Thanks, for posting I just bought a lathe from them.

..

Which one?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

WD wrote:

: 25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" .
: The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks
: and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is five
: bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?

What's the capacity of the larger one?

The smaller one is (I think) in the same class as the Jet minilathe. The Jet
gets great reviews -- it's been out for a while, and typically gets
the best-bang prize in published reviews.

For a lot less that the $400 the smaller genertal would cost you, you can get the Jet.
Add a decent few chisels, and you're off and running.

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote:

The smaller one is (I think) in the same class as the Jet minilathe. The Jet
gets great reviews -- it's been out for a while, and typically gets
the best-bang prize in published reviews.

There are a few differences. The main one is the swivel head on the General.
As well as outboard ways that are actually long enough to be useful. It has
the electronic variable speed, so must be compared to the EVS Jet. And the
General is somewhat stouter of construction.

IIRC, the EVS Jet is around $329 and the General is $529. Are the differences
listed above worth $200? That's up to each buyer to decide.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
WD wrote:

25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" .
The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks
and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is
five
bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?

CANCEL... ARGHH. I didn't pay that much for a full size lathe, nor
anything else. Grizzly wants $43 for their top end mini
(http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0624) Plus I just found it for less
http://www.woodsmithstore.com/210095.html telling me it was not much of
a "deal"

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Andrew Barss wrote:

WD wrote:

: 25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" .
: The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks
: and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is
: five
: bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?

What's the capacity of the larger one?

The smaller one is (I think) in the same class as the Jet minilathe. The Jet
gets great reviews -- it's been out for a while, and typically gets
the best-bang prize in published reviews.

The Jet you are talking about was quietly replaced with a new model,
some nice improvments (like indexing)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Plus*I*just*found*it*for*less
http://www.woodsmithstore.com/210095...as*not*much*of
a "deal"

No you didn't. What you found was the 25-100, NOT the 25-200.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

WD wrote:

: 25-200 M1, General Vari-Speed "MAXI-LATHE" .
: The lathe is $399, but shipping is exorbitant over two hundred bucks
: and pick up at the terminal! The smaller model 25-100 M1 $199, shipping is
: five bucks less. I might cancel the order, what do you think?

What's the capacity of the larger one?

I believe the capacity is very similar to the jet but much more heavier.

12" inboard, 19" outboard. The Jet is 10". See:

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/25200a.html

--
It's turtles, all the way down