Posted to rec.woodworking

Default louvered shutters - dipping

hello,

i repainting my antique shotgun home (new orleans) & its shutters. the
shutters are of the louvered variety. from my research, it seems that
having them dipped may be the best way to go.

there is a place near us that does it for $4/foot, doesnt sound bad.
im just wondering about warping -- does dipping pose much of a risk to
the delicate louver blades? are there other concerns i should be aware
of? Strip Ease is the restorer, i have heard good things about them,
but i wanted to learn first what questions i should ask them prior to
doing it.

thanks for your help!

sm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Back in the 60's, I believe it was Popular Mechanics, printed an
article on using TSP for stripping paint. Can't remember the mix
ratio, but after mixing, you heated the mixture, to a below boiling
temp. and soak the item to be stripped. In the 70's I tried it and It
worked like a charm.
I told a neighbor, who had a business restoring older houses. He had a
lot of shutters and doors to strip. He tried it and it worked so good,
he had a shallow tank built, with propane burners below it, to heat
the solution. I was the Hero!

It doesn't take long, and if you leave the item in too long, the wood
will get soft. Don't ask how I know!

Soak a bit and hit it with a stiff brush, and brush away 50 years of
paint!

Be sure to wear a face shield and long sleeves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 1:41 pm, sailor wrote:
Back in the 60's, I believe it was Popular Mechanics, printed an
article on using TSP for stripping paint. Can't remember the mix

well, im not really interested in building a dipping tank project. i
only have a few shuttered windows, and for $4/ft its pretty hard to
beat the convenience factor of using Strip Ease. ive heard good things
about them from people whove used them for solid wood stripping, but i
havent met anyone whos used them for louvered shutters, unfortunately.

thanks

sm

Small louvered doors? jtpr Woodworking 2 June 5th 06 11:27 PM
How to build a louvered door? Toller Woodworking 7 December 20th 05 11:54 PM
Louvered doors Andrew Gabriel UK diy 6 August 14th 05 04:43 PM
exterior adjustable louvered shutters [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 15th 05 03:45 PM
louvered vent for attic Sammy' Home Repair 4 January 14th 04 03:01 PM