Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Match for Carver-Tripp special walnut

I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet
doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went
to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was
still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match
for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts
I've looked at so far.

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 7:43 pm, "John F. King" wrote:
I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet
doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went
to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was
still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match
for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts
I've looked at so far.

TIA

Just a thought, why not buy more CT?

Don't they sell that at Lowe's now? I don't know any stain
manufacturers that make their colors so close to one another's that
they are interchangeable. In fact, a great deal aren't even close to
each other. The name they go by is simply a reference.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

As far as I know, Park corp (maker of Carver-Tripp) is out of business. I
haven't been able to find any Carver-Tripp products at any of the usual
stores. Searches on the internet come up empty also. My can has a 1998 date
on it.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 1, 7:43 pm, "John F. King" wrote:

As far as I know, Park corp (maker of Carver-Tripp) is out of business. I haven't been able to find any Carver-Tripp products at any of the usual stores. Searches on the internet come up empty also. My can has a 1998 date on it.

John

This might not get you much fartther.

http://www.parkscorp.com/

I didn't see much pertinent there, but I did find the phone number (!)
for the Parks corp so you could call them directly. I tried it, the
number works, so you could get it directly from them. They might be
able to tell you if there is an accceptable substitute. Call them at
1-800-225-8543.

I didn't know CT products were even hard to find. They were really
hard charging for years in the low VOC market.

Let us all know what you find out.

Also, I heard this, but have not confirmed this... a fellow remodeler
told me a couple of weeks ago that his client went to Lowe's and they
MATCHED stain. He claims the client was no idiot and wasn't screwing
with him. I haven't ever heard of such a thing, but that sure doesn't
mean it isn't happening.

Otherwise you are down to mixing all the nearest colors on your pieces
of scrap to see how close you can get the final product. It isn't as
hard as you might think to do that. But the deal killer is how the
stain looks with the seal coat on it. Almost all oil finshes leave
some amber behind after drying, and then continue to amber as time
goes by.

And just a thought here, I wouldn't beat myself to death with
matching. You won't get it perfect. Your wood will take the stain
different than the original, the envorinmental conditions you apply
the colorant in will not be exactly the same, and worse, sometimes
there are small variances in the stain colors as batched at the plant.

Nothing is worse than spending time on something like that, hours of
mixing an applying, letting samples dry on your exact match of wood,
then clear coating to get something that is ONLY really close. Then
of course, a more discerning eye sees the difference when they drive
up the drive way. No need to even come in the house.

If you couldn't get it close enough to make it a perfect match in yoru
eyes, I would change colors or hues and make the island an "accent"
piece to the kitchen. That method has saved me more than once and
always worked out well.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 2, 12:35 am, "
wrote:
[...]

I've got the same challenge! I've got a small amunt of Carver Tripp
Special Walnut left, but I'll need more. A few years ago I was able to
track down a source of the product - there was one in Minnesota, and
one in central Pennsylvania. I don't have the info anymore, but I
remain optimistic that it's still possible to get this stain. I'm
using the oil wiping stain - great stuff, and about the only product
I could find that satisfied my taste on white pine. I' ve also used
the water-based special walnut from Carver Tripp but always found it
too chaulky and needed to smooth it out with the wiping stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I emailed the NEWPARK corp and got a reply that basically said: "Sorry we
don't make stain anymore. Good luck."

I mixed two parts Minwax english chestnut with 3 parts of colonial maple. It
is darker on white oak and lighter on common trim stock than the CT special
walnut. I'll have to try a few pieces and apply some poly before I decide if
this is good enough of a match.

I haven't had the chance to try Lowes for matching.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used some CT stain can't remember if it was special walnut but it
was walnut. Found a stain very close it is made by ZAR. Hope this
helps in some way.
BillOn Wed, 09 May 2007 10:07:09 GMT, "John F. King"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 5:07 am, "John F. King" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On May 1, 7:43 pm, "John F. King" wrote:

[...]

Hi John,

I am also trying to match Carver Tripp Special Walnut. My latest
formula is equal parts of Minwax (Special Walnut + Red Oak + Ipswich
Pine). I think the color is about right, but needs multiple coats to
get it as dark as the CT stain. Are you happy with your results after
applying poly?

Also, I spoke wih someone at Lowes locally here and was told they do
not match stains.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the same problem but out can is empty and the date on it is 1998 also special walnut. I am doing extensive research to locate it.

ðŸ˜Faith
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:43:33 PM UTC-4, John F. King wrote:
I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet
doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went
to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was
still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match
for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts
I've looked at so far.

TIA

Minwax makes a clear finish called Poly Finish that is a mixture of tung oil and polyurethane. It is a wipe-on product-I use women's pantyhose and the application is great. I've never found that there is any distortion in the stain color with this product. It comes in Satin or Gloss, and requires two coats. I use 0000 steel wool and a tack rag between coats. I've utilized this product and never had any problem.

Jim S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:43:33 PM UTC-4, John F. King wrote:
I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet
doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went
to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was
still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match
for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts
I've looked at so far.

TIA

Talked with a person at Rust Oleum. There is NO MORE Carver Tripp products and has not been for several years. I know that Minwax special walnut is NOT a match. Varathane might be & I have some & will see. I have almost a full quart of the Carver Tripp Special Walnut, but I will need more to finish. Hope this helps. We are all out of luck, unless you find an old hardware store that might have some.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:43:33 PM UTC-4, John F. King wrote:
I'm halfway through remodeling the kitchen. I've completed the new cabinet
doors and am ready to move on to wrapping the island. However, when I went
to stain a piece of trim I found my can of Carver-Tripp special walnut was
still open and quite solid. Any suggestions for a cross reference or match
for this stain? It looks more red/orange than any of the special walnuts
I've looked at so far.

TIA

There is NO MORE Carver Tripp of any kind or color, unless you can find an old hardware store that might still have some. . Minwax is not a match. I have a can of Varathane special walnut that I will try. I have almost a full can of the Carver Tripp special walnut , but I will need more. Frustrating!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

Women's panty hose was all the rage in 2007, when the question was
posted. Today, 11 years later, the preferred method is to be wearing a
Thong for applying MW.

Overalls would cover better.

Just overalls, no sense messing up a good shirt... especially if it's a
lady applying the minwax!

Puckdropper

Black Walnut Grafted to English Walnut Question... Schroeder Woodworking 9 October 16th 05 06:05 AM
Carver PM-1.5 Amp Help bytraper Electronics Repair 3 October 1st 05 12:33 PM
Walnut lumber, barn wood and a walnut stump: for sale - Kansas City area James Hendrix Woodworking 5 August 21st 05 05:53 AM
tripp lite pr-7b wholf09 Electronics 1 January 15th 05 11:35 PM
Carver PM-200 Greg M Electronics Repair 3 November 30th 04 12:50 PM