Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping: charlieb Domino question

ROY! wrote:

Charlie, thanks to you I'm about $800. lighter but have a Domino on
its way to me. About the beech dominos, would it be plausible to make
your own? Let's say make out of walnut for walnut projects. Make out
of cypress for cypress projects, etc etc. What are your thoughts on
this?

R!

Shouldn't be a problem - just need to mill the stock to 5,6, 8 or
10mm thickness (the bit diameters) and then find and use
a corresponding roundover bit on a router table - with a fence
you can position fairly accurately - you don't want to reduce the
length of the tenon your making. I did just that when I was
doing loose tenon mortise and tenon joints with the TREND M&T
jig. If you have a planer, bench top or floor model, getting the
thickness is no problem - but you need to check the thickness
often in order to not overshoot - thinner tenons won't give you
a snug fit.

The Festool tenons are interesting - small grooves on the rounded
sides - space for glue and air - and they're small enough to
compress
just a little bit to insure a snug fit in the mortise.

But you do want to get your hands no some samples, one of each
of the available thicknesses. Much easier to make loose tenons
to match an existing one than to make loose tenons starting with
just the mortise.

charlie b