Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porter Cable router dust collector for 690 series routers

I was reading the most recent issue of ShopNotes magazine last night and I
read about a dust collector for a router. I have a 690 with regular and
plunge base. PC sells a dust collector that appears to work for both edge
routing and plunge routing. I tried to google any conversation on
rec.woodworking about this product but could only find one posting from
2002. In that posting someone said it worked great for routing material that
produces fine dust (e.g., MDF) but not material that comes off in chips. Has
anyone bought this product? If so, could you post your comments? I am
particularly interested in how it would work when plowing out a dado with a
plunge router. I would love to think I could eliminate some of the amazing
mess in my shop with an attachment to the router but wouldn't want to take
the "plunge" without hearing some comments from existing customers.

Here is a link to Amazon where you could see what I am talking about in case
there is confusion:
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-3.../dp/B0000222VC

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lousy & useless product description at the link.
Plastic collector in question is for edge use only, useless for inside
cuts like dados.
****************************

On Apr 28, 3:53 am, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
[...]

there is confusion:http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-3...tem-Routers/dp...

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. The stuff bounces off my ample tummy and then I vacuum it off the
floor. (now that's a pretty disgusting image...)
mahalo,
jo4hn