Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default WOODEN BANDSAW - PDF

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

JOAT
If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter.
- W.S. Lind

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , J T
wrote:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

First bandsaw I ever used was one of these, borrowed it from my
brother-in-laws dad for a project I was doing. He did a nice job
building it, worked great. He built it to finish a thirty foot sailboat
from a wooden hull he bought, sold that boat after a few years and then
did a forty foot fiberglass one with it as well.

--
http://doit101.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

The first band saw I used was a wooden one my Grandfather made.
The wheels were made out of a pair of Soap Box Derby wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 25, 2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

Google turns up nothing for "walking beam saw."

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 27, 12:58�pm, Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 25, 2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. *How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? *A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

The Soap Box Derby wheels Grampa had, had solid rubber tires, that
tapered in to the tread area, for low rolling resistance. He somehow
shaved the tires down so the tread area got wider. About 1" as I
remember. It was 45 years ago!
The wheel itself was solid sided. The bearings were about 4" apart.
The wheel sides tapered from the bearing area to the tire area.

I used the other 2 wheels and axel to make a cart, so I could try to
kill myself going down the hill!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 25, 2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

Google turns up nothing for "walking beam saw."

Interesting idea. How would you crown or taper the wheels to accept the saw
blade? My first thought is to used wooden inserts to fill in the rim of
the wheel and then use a lathe to cut the proper crown or taper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 7:42 am, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message

oups.com... On Apr 25, 2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

Google turns up nothing for "walking beam saw."

Interesting idea. How would you crown or taper the wheels to accept the saw
blade? My first thought is to used wooden inserts to fill in the rim of
the wheel and then use a lathe to cut the proper crown or taper.

They already come crowned. Fine-tune the crown by changing tire
width or with a pump.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Apr 25, 2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

Google turns up nothing for "walking beam saw."

A little late, but I've been out for a few days
alltheweb.com has a few hits
http://alltheweb.com/search?advanced... =2007&hits=10
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

2:37 pm, (J T) wrote:
http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/bandsaw.pdf

Pretty. How would spoked bike wheels work instead of those
plywood discs? A stripped bike would probably yield all the
parts needed for a multi-speed bandsaw except for blade.

Google turns up nothing for "walking beam saw."

Interesting idea. How would you crown or taper the wheels to accept the
saw
blade? My first thought is to used wooden inserts to fill in the rim
of
the wheel and then use a lathe to cut the proper crown or taper.

They already come crowned. Fine-tune the crown by changing tire
width or with a pump.
Wouldn't you still have the problem of tred on the tires? Slight on a lot

of street tires but still there. Then there's the problem of tire pressure
when you tension the blade. It looks to me like the pressure applied to
tension the blade would cause a deformity in the tire and change the
tracking of the blade. Wear on the tire should be slight so that wouldn't
be a problem. You have almost gotten me in the mood to try to make one

wanted 36 wooden spindles @ 17" also 36 wooden teddy bears @ 4 inch high URGENTLY [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 30th 06 03:50 PM
WOODEN HINGES - PDF J T Woodworking 1 February 25th 06 01:15 PM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
pdf Sadiq Electronics Repair 2 March 30th 05 05:16 AM
pdf Sadiq Electronics Repair 0 March 27th 05 07:04 PM