Posted to rec.woodworking

Default why buy?

I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check
it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal
or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library
except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a
time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same
time.

http://books.google.com/books?q=taunton%27s

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check
it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal
or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library
except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a
time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same
time.

http://books.google.com/books?q=taunton%27s

Don't you think there would be lawsuits over it if it wasn't legal?
Actually there are lawsuits, but none that affect the user.

My guess is that Taunton is giving them permission because the exerpts are
pretty full.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...

I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check
it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal
or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library
except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a
time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same
time.

http://books.google.com/books?q=taunton%27s

Don't you think there would be lawsuits over it if it wasn't legal?
Actually there are lawsuits, but none that affect the user.

My guess is that Taunton is giving them permission because the exerpts are
pretty full.

I took a look at one of Jeff Jewitt's books and Google's posted about
the first four pages of each of the book's sections. It might be
something the publishers have agreed to to promote sales?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Thank God for attorneys so we can be warned.
Maybe he should start a class action suit.
OR maybe he should let it up to the attorneys that are on the publishers
payroll.
Least but not last chase a few ambulances.
Can you tell I dislike bottom feeders?

"RayV" wrote in message
oups.com...
I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check
it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal
or not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library
except only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a
time but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same
time.

http://books.google.com/books?q=taunton%27s

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Wed, Apr 25, 2007, 11:08am (EDT-3) (RayV) doth
posteth:
I had heard about Google and their book scanning so I decided to check
it out. I'm not a copyright attorney so don't know if this is legal or
not. I guess in theory it is not much different from a library except
only one person can 'use' one copy of a book in a library at a time
but on google 200 people can all read the same book at the same time.

Interesting if so. For me, it'd only be hndy or checking the a
book's content, to see if I wanted to buy a copy. Nothing like
thumbing thru pages in the thinking room, or by candlelight when the
power's off - hard to do that with a computer screen. I certainly
wouldn't read omething that long from a screen - if I want to read
something, unless it's pretty short, I'll usually print it out and
read it - or skip it. I've got loads of links save, for books on-line
- and haven't read a one - because they're all on-line. I like books.

Google Books doesn't make every book they scan readable--for some they
show the search terms and the paragraph that contains it, while for
others they show only a few pages like Amazon does with their previews.
How much they show depends on their agreement with the copyright holder
if any. Most of the fully browseable books seem to be old enough that
the copyright has expired.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)