Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I Made the Octagon!

Thanks to everyone for your ideas on how to make the octagon
cross-section from a 4" x 4" square.

I made it and it came out just great!

I finally did it on my jointer. I set the fence at 45 degrees, and it
only took about 20 passes per corner to form the octagonal cross-section.

And, the best part was how SAFE it was!

One small problem I had was making sure I held the piece down on the
outfeed side. A few passes I kept too much downward pressure on the
infeed side and the material didn't come off equally. I just have to
remember to push on the infeed side and apply downward pressure on the
outfeed side.

Again, thanks to everyone.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"GrayFox" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for your ideas on how to make the octagon
cross-section from a 4" x 4" square.

I made it and it came out just great!

Missed the original thread, but here's a trick woodturners use that requires
no measuring, once you have your blank dimensioned correctly.
Tip your table saw blade to 45 degrees.
Lean your 4x4 blank against the blade so essentially you're balancing it on
its long edge
Bring your fence over so that it bears against the long edge which is on the
right side (left side for your saw) of the balancing blank
Now, when you lay the blank on it's face and knock off all four corners, you
will have a *perfect* octagon.
*And* this will work on your table saw since you don't need to have a big
blade since you're not knocking off the top corner at each pass (which is an
invitation to kickback) but rather the bottom corner.

Glad you got it done, hope this method helps in the future or for other
wreckers.

Joe C.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 17, 12:12 pm, "Joe" wrote:
"GrayFox" wrote in message

[...]

Took me a few minutes thinking and a quick sketch to see this. What a
great tip!!!

Thanks, Bill Leonhardt

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

[...]

You're welcome.

Glad you liked it.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

I am having a problem visualizing the procedure. Would you please say the
following in a different way. (for example what is the long edge of a 4 X 4
piece?) Thanks, JG

" Lean your 4x4 blank against the blade so essentially you're balancing it
on its long edge
Bring your fence over so that it bears against the long edge which is on
the right side (left side for your saw) of the balancing blank"

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

ASCII attempt:

| /\-4x4 leaned on blade
|/ \ /
fence-|\ //-blade at 45°
| \//
------------------------ - table
^- 4x4 balanced on "long edge"

Great tip! Thanks, Joe!

That ascii is accurate. Your stand it on its long edge to determine where
to set the fence, then lay it down flat to knock off the corners.

When the blank is laid flat on each of its four faces, the blade just barely
knocks off each corner.

The OP stated that his blank was 4"x4"x15". In that example, the long edge
would be the 15" edge.

You're quite welcome.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

JGS wrote:
I am having a problem visualizing the procedure. Would you please say the
following in a different way. (for example what is the long edge of a 4 X 4
piece?) Thanks, JG

" Lean your 4x4 blank against the blade so essentially you're balancing it
on its long edge
Bring your fence over so that it bears against the long edge which is on
the right side (left side for your saw) of the balancing blank"

ASCII attempt:

| /\-4x4 leaned on blade
|/ \ /
fence-|\ //-blade at 45°
| \//
------------------------ - table
^- 4x4 balanced on "long edge"

Great tip! Thanks, Joe!
Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Thanks C& J . I see it now. I had not seen the OP. JG

"Joe" wrote in message
et...
ASCII attempt:

| /\-4x4 leaned on blade
|/ \ /
fence-|\ //-blade at 45°
| \//
------------------------ - table
^- 4x4 balanced on "long edge"

Great tip! Thanks, Joe!

That ascii is accurate. Your stand it on its long edge to determine where
to set the fence, then lay it down flat to knock off the corners.

When the blank is laid flat on each of its four faces, the blade just
barely knocks off each corner.

The OP stated that his blank was 4"x4"x15". In that example, the long
edge would be the 15" edge.

You're quite welcome.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"JGS" wrote:

Thanks C& J . I see it now. I had not seen the OP. JG

"Joe" wrote in message
et...
ASCII attempt:

| /\-4x4 leaned on blade
|/ \ /
fence-|\ //-blade at 45°
| \//
------------------------ - table
^- 4x4 balanced on "long edge"

Great tip! Thanks, Joe!

That ascii is accurate. Your stand it on its long edge to determine where
to set the fence, then lay it down flat to knock off the corners.

When the blank is laid flat on each of its four faces, the blade just
barely knocks off each corner.

The OP stated that his blank was 4"x4"x15". In that example, the long
edge would be the 15" edge.

You're quite welcome.

Joe

So, with a blade that leans to the right, the fence must be on the left?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"GrayFox" wrote in message
In article ,
"JGS" wrote:

Thanks C& J . I see it now. I had not seen the OP. JG

"Joe" wrote in message
et...
ASCII attempt:

| /\-4x4 leaned on blade
|/ \ /
fence-|\ //-blade at 45°
| \//
------------------------ - table
^- 4x4 balanced on "long edge"

Great tip! Thanks, Joe!

That ascii is accurate. Your stand it on its long edge to determine
where
to set the fence, then lay it down flat to knock off the corners.

When the blank is laid flat on each of its four faces, the blade just
barely knocks off each corner.

The OP stated that his blank was 4"x4"x15". In that example, the long
edge would be the 15" edge.

You're quite welcome.

Joe

So, with a blade that leans to the right, the fence must be on the left?

Exactly. Otherwise you could get a severe kickback.

Joe C.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm glad the jointer suggestion worked. Of course, I later realized that if
you have a band saw, you could have tilted the table to 45 degrees and done
this job in 4 quick passes.

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Help in Making an Octagon GrayFox Woodworking 29 April 16th 07 09:53 PM
Measuring an Octagon (follow up to post 09/25/06) John \(aka wheelzuk\) Woodworking 0 October 16th 06 11:40 AM
octagon rafter table ue191 Woodworking 5 October 8th 06 08:57 PM
Software or advice on calculating sides of an octagon John \(aka wheelzuk\) Woodworking 14 August 25th 06 07:43 PM
octagon Don Haynes Woodworking 6 July 19th 05 02:27 AM