Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Basic set for woodworking?

Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

Do you have a foolproof list? What's the powertool brand you trust the
most? In europe Black&Decker and Bosch are considered the best ones,
what would you buy here in the USA?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BlueD" wrote in message
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

Do you have a foolproof list? What's the powertool brand you trust the
most? In europe Black&Decker and Bosch are considered the best ones, what
would you buy here in the USA?

It entirely depends what sort of woodwork you want to do. Some carpenters
don't own a hand plane, some have twenty. Some haven't seen a workbench for
years, some are obsessive about them.

What's the rubber mallet for by the way?

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BlueD" wrote in message
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

Do you have a foolproof list? What's the powertool brand you trust the
most? In europe Black&Decker and Bosch are considered the best ones, what
would you buy here in the USA?

There is no foolproof list. What you listed is a good start, but buy the
tools as you need them for the project at hand.

Clamps come in sizes from a few inches to a few feet. I find the 18" to 30"
are the most useful, but you may find otherwise. My favorite sander is a
Random Orbital type. I like it far better than the smaller vibrating style.
I also have stationary belt and spindle sander.

Bosch is a good brand of tool here, but Black & Decker is not nearly as
good. Milwaukee, Porter Cable, DeWalt, Hitachi, Makita, Delta, Jet, are
some of the better brands. My cordless drill is Panasonic. For hand tools
and accessories, be sure to check out www.leevalley.com for god quality,
especially their hand planes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What's the rubber mallet for by the way?

For rubber nails. What else? Geesh.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:

What's the rubber mallet for by the way?

My grandfather used it often to set in pieces of wood in the joints
without denting the wood. pretty handy. I know that you can use a piece
of scrap wood in between, but it's a pain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Take a look at Fred Bingham's book, Practical Yacht Joinery.

You won't be disappointed.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:38:15 -0700, BlueD
wrote:

Tim W wrote:

What's the rubber mallet for by the way?

My grandfather used it often to set in pieces of wood in the joints
without denting the wood. pretty handy. I know that you can use a piece
of scrap wood in between, but it's a pain.

Sometimes I use a rawhide mallet. A dead blow is useful. I still use
a scrap piece of wood on occasion, depending what I'm doing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 4:47 pm, BlueD wrote:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

Do you have a foolproof list? What's the powertool brand you trust the
most? In europe Black&Decker and Bosch are considered the best ones,
what would you buy here in the USA?

There are many intro to woodworking books that give decent enough
lists and quality of tools for the person wanting to start
woodworking. Go to your local public library and look at these
books. Or go to the bookstore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 5:47 pm, BlueD wrote:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

Do you have a foolproof list? What's the powertool brand you trust the
most? In europe Black&Decker and Bosch are considered the best ones,
what would you buy here in the USA?

The old cliche is that you can never have enough clamps.
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 11:38 pm, BlueD wrote:
Tim W wrote:
What's the rubber mallet for by the way?

My grandfather used it often to set in pieces of wood in the joints
without denting the wood. pretty handy. I know that you can use a piece
of scrap wood in between, but it's a pain.

Fine, back in the day. Now, with urethane-faced deadblow mallets, IMHO
rubber is very much a second choice for assembly-smacks.

HTH,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 4:47 pm, BlueD wrote:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

snip

If you don't already have a project in mind, pick one and start with
the tools you need for that project. This will also allow the folks
here to give you much more focused and useful suggestions.

Best of luck,
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 15, 4:47 pm, BlueD wrote:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? I thought about a drill, a workbench, clamps (but
don't know how many) a tableclamp, a jigsaw, a sander (don't know which
type), chisels, hammer (one metallic, one with rubber head)...

snip

If you don't already have a project in mind, pick one and start with
the tools you need for that project. This will also allow the folks
here to give you much more focused and useful suggestions.

This reminds me of the good advice my father gave me: Any project
worth starting will surely need a new tool for the job. It's another
way of saying, "Any excuse to buy another tool," but a little classier. ;-)

Jim Stuyck

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 2:30 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, Apr 15, 2007, 2:47pm (EDT-3) (BlueD) doth
cme in and mumble:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? snip

Basic? Handsaw, pencil, square, hammer, nails, wood. Pocket knife
to sharpe pencil. You want holes, add a hand drill, with drill bits.
Basic.

JOAT
I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

You sure your rectal nerves haven't crossed with your optic nerves and
just happen to have a ****ty outlook on life...AKA Optical Rectitis

Philski

Posted to rec.woodworking

Philski wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:30 pm, (J T) wrote:
Sun, Apr 15, 2007, 2:47pm (EDT-3) (BlueD) doth
cme in and mumble:
Hi eveyone, what's your advidces about a basic set to cover all the main
needs of a woodworker? snip

Basic? Handsaw, pencil, square, hammer, nails, wood. Pocket knife
to sharpe pencil. You want holes, add a hand drill, with drill bits.
Basic.

JOAT
I have anal glaucoma. I can't see my ass going to work today.

You sure your rectal nerves haven't crossed with your optic nerves and
just happen to have a ****ty outlook on life...AKA Optical Rectitis

Philski

That's an easy problem to fix ... just make an appointment with the
Rectal Opthalmologist ;-)

I have a standing appointment. ;-)

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000734-1, 04/17/2007
Tested on: 4/18/2007 5:01:33 AM