Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Osborne EB3 miter guide opinion wanted

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will wrote:
I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have been interested in it for
quite some time. It just LOOKS like it would be much more stable and accurate
than most of the others. Besides, if it's good enough for Nahm . . .

Wayne
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Will" wrote in message
m...
I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Can you be more specific? Miter "Glide"?

If you are talking about the triangle miter Gauge, IMHO avoid it. I have
not seen one yet that does not have LOTS of slop when the slide is extended
to the far/extended 45 degree setting. Even the one at the Delta area at
the WW 2 weeks ago was pitiful.

If they have it marked down to 1/2 price it's likely that this inherent
problem has affected sales.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:55:40 -0500, "Will" wrote:

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Good for 90 degree cuts pita on angled cuts.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 15, 3:58 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Will" wrote in message

m...

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Can you be more specific? Miter "Glide"?

If you are talking about the triangle miter Gauge, IMHO avoid it. I have
not seen one yet that does not have LOTS of slop when the slide is extended
to the far/extended 45 degree setting. Even the one at the Delta area at
the WW 2 weeks ago was pitiful.

If they have it marked down to 1/2 price it's likely that this inherent
problem has affected sales.

Fine Woodworking wasn't a big fan of the Osborne, citing the slop that
Leon spoke of. I just purchased the Incra 1000SE and am fairly
unimpressed. I'm going to be returning it to Woodcraft this week.
The biggest issues are the slide-out extension bar and the difficulty
using a backer-board to prevent tear-out. The slide out fence
requires that you calibrate another ruler, which just sort of sits in
the slot using a friction fit. Plus, the flip-stop is only 3/4" deep,
which doesn't allow you to use a full-length backer. You've got to
tack one on the end using the t-slots/nuts. It's a PITA and not very
supportive, really. I like the looks of the Kreg, and the Woodhaven
got high marks by FWW. Probably I'll try one of those.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...

Fine Woodworking wasn't a big fan of the Osborne, citing the slop that
Leon spoke of. I just purchased the Incra 1000SE and am fairly
unimpressed. I'm going to be returning it to Woodcraft this week.
The biggest issues are the slide-out extension bar and the difficulty
using a backer-board to prevent tear-out. The slide out fence
requires that you calibrate another ruler, which just sort of sits in
the slot using a friction fit. Plus, the flip-stop is only 3/4" deep,
which doesn't allow you to use a full-length backer. You've got to
tack one on the end using the t-slots/nuts. It's a PITA and not very
supportive, really. I like the looks of the Kreg, and the Woodhaven
got high marks by FWW. Probably I'll try one of those.

JP

What burned my butt with Osborne was that I e-mail him directly about the
problem. "I had purchased one" and Osborne himself responded with total
denial of the inherent problem and that perhaps I got a bad one. My dealer
had 4 more and each had the problem.
I did end up with the Kreg just as Kreg had bought the miter gauge from
another company. It too had its problems but when you lock the gauge it
stays locked into position.
Improvements have been made to the Flip stop that I learned about at the WW
show 2 weeks ago. I was able to fix the problem by using a t-bolt in place
of the supplied hex bolt that secures the flip stop along the rail. Before
the modification the hex bolt would allow creep in the distance setting
while tightening the thumb screw.
The Kreg works like a charm now. I do not use the measure scale as of yet.

Incra's are nice also and some have had problems also. I mostly don't like
the Incra because of all the real-estate that is taken up behind the miter
fence.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. net...
Will wrote:
I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have
it and how do you like it?
Thanks

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have been interested in it
for quite some time. It just LOOKS like it would be much more stable and
accurate than most of the others.

Not stable at all in the 45 degree setting.

Besides, if it's good enough for Nahm . . .

You have to show your sponsors products.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 16:59:29 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Markem" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 13:55:40 -0500, "Will" wrote:

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Good for 90 degree cuts pita on angled cuts.

Agreed.

I ended up buying a Rockler miter gauge, and setting up my sled for
angle cuts. The Osborne gets used but I would part with it, at present
it sits as a reminder mainly.

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/