Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Osborne EB3 miter guide opinion wanted

On Apr 15, 3:58 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Will" wrote in message

m...

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it
and how do you like it?
Thanks

Can you be more specific? Miter "Glide"?

If you are talking about the triangle miter Gauge, IMHO avoid it. I have
not seen one yet that does not have LOTS of slop when the slide is extended
to the far/extended 45 degree setting. Even the one at the Delta area at
the WW 2 weeks ago was pitiful.

If they have it marked down to 1/2 price it's likely that this inherent
problem has affected sales.

Fine Woodworking wasn't a big fan of the Osborne, citing the slop that
Leon spoke of. I just purchased the Incra 1000SE and am fairly
unimpressed. I'm going to be returning it to Woodcraft this week.
The biggest issues are the slide-out extension bar and the difficulty
using a backer-board to prevent tear-out. The slide out fence
requires that you calibrate another ruler, which just sort of sits in
the slot using a friction fit. Plus, the flip-stop is only 3/4" deep,
which doesn't allow you to use a full-length backer. You've got to
tack one on the end using the t-slots/nuts. It's a PITA and not very
supportive, really. I like the looks of the Kreg, and the Woodhaven
got high marks by FWW. Probably I'll try one of those.

JP