Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Slop Room Sink Project

Started a new project for SWMBO last week. We have a laundry/Bath
room on the first floor and it had a little powder room sink in it.
Since the Mrs is getting a little tired of me using her sink every
time I come in covered in grease, oil, dust, dirt, or some other
foreign substance I thought I'd build a cabinet and install a "real"
sink in the back bathroom. It will also be nice for her to use when
she cleans.

The cabinet is 48" x 25" with a 49" counter top, double stainless deep
bowl sink and a Peerless faucet. I've been gathering supplies since
last July. Everything but the plumbing items (feeds, drains) were
gotten at a surplus auction. I spent more on the plumbing stuff (feed
lines, strainers, and waste lines) than I did on the rest of the
materials... :-O

This link shows the construction process.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71761029@N00/

I'll be making simple raised panel doors for it directly.

I used 3/4" MDF board for the sides and sealed it with spray primer.
The only thing left (besides the doors and drawer fronts) is to hook
up the drain.

Got it together over the course of a weekend.

I have some left over counter top and am considering using it to make
a router table top. Any one ever done something like that? My
thought is to take off the back splash, cut in a hole for a lexan
plate for the router to be attached to and then router in channels for
T track for the fence. Any suggestions or thoughts on that?

SWMBO is thrilled with it so life is good... until she thinks about
the next honey do item. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bremen68" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Think that sink is big enough? You must get awful dirty!! It is a good
idea though. You can't have too much sink when it comes to getting clean!

I like the way that you combine shop pictures with the kids pictures.

Good lookin' kids.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 9, 9:56 pm, "bremen68" wrote:

I have some left over counter top and am considering using it to make
a router table top. Any one ever done something like that? My
thought is to take off the back splash, cut in a hole for a lexan
plate for the router

That's a totally familiar project. Lexan (aka Tuffak, polycarbonate)
is kinda rubbery and might sag if you hang a router from it; phenolic
plastic (Micarta, Formica, etc.) is stiffer and might work better.

Some of the best fence designs use a steel channel glued into
a routed slot; hardware stores sell U-channel shelving standards
that are useful in this regard. The countertop material is not
going to make as good a sliding surface.