Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another *&^% kickback! Need recommendations for a REAL splitter!!

As the title suggests, I need to buy a real splitter or splitter/pawl combo
for a Jet cabinet saw. The one I WAS using (Micro Jig POS) just ain't
cutting it. It constantly comes out of the ZCI when pushing wood through
the saw and today it was banished from the shop forever. After about the
tenth time of putting it back on the saw, it came out again while ripping 7"
off a 10" wide by 32" long board. The board was in the rough and must have
had some tension. Times like that I miss the old 1 1/2hp contractor saw.
At the start of a kickback, I could just hold the board tight and stall the
saw while turning it off. Ain't gonna happen with the new 3 hp. I had to
bail and let it go. And boy did it go! Right through the back window of
the shop and about 30ft. into the back yard. It took a #4 smoother that was
sitting on the window sill with it. Damn good thing I knew what was about to
happen. I posted a pic of the window on APBW.
Anyway, any suggestions for a REAL splitter are needed. And I don't mind
spending some money on it. Gotta be cheaper that a new windows (or worse.)
Thanks all! --dave