Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mortise / Mortising Chisels

I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Ray Iles mostise chisels at toolsforworkingwood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=CRI
no affiliation, yada yada
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 8:06 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Quarton Barr makes some of the best I have seen, google up Barr tools

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 8:31 pm, alexy wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Ray Iles mostise chisels at toolsforworkingwood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...c?Screen=PROD&...
no affiliation, yada yada

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Pricier than the LNs, but they
look much more to my liking. Now I'm really going to have to get
frugal in other areas of my life!

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote:

Ray Iles mostise chisels at toolsforworkingwood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...c?Screen=PROD&...
no affiliation, yada yada

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Pricier than the LNs, but they
look much more to my liking. Now I'm really going to have to get
frugal in other areas of my life!

You might find this article of interest:
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/c.../mortChis1.asp
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"beecrofter" wrote:

On Apr 4, 8:06 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Quarton Barr makes some of the best I have seen, google up Barr tools

Sound like great tools, but no mortise chisels listed on his site
now. Does he have them periodically?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

Jim Wilson made some that would meet your criteria - especially
the beefy part. Steve Knight The Plane Maker used to sell them
on his site.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/B...MTchisels.html

Here's Jim's url. Have a feeling if enough people wanted him to
make some more of his mortising chisels he just might get back
to making them for sale again.

http://www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/

These puppies are tough - the sides are squared so they
register well and the sides of the bevel also cut clean sides
for your mortise. Unless you hit a nail you've be hard
pressed to hurt this chisels, especially the 3/4".

Note tht the square sides can cause the chisel to wedge
in the mortise when you get deeper. When you're working
on extracting it - DO NOT HAVE YOUR CHIN IN ITS EXIT PATH
- you WILL see stars when the end of that handle makes
contact with your chin. DAMHIKT.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Being in the middle of a timber framing project right now, I'm a bit
confused.

Why would you be looking at 1" chisels for timber framing?

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...ath/36_105_109

I have been using the 1-1/2" henry taylor and it has been working very well
for me. I attending a timber framing seminar At LV a while back and I asked
the rpoesenter what size chisel I should invest in for making 2" mortises.
His reply was 1-1/2". Having chopped about 40 *big* mortises recently, I
concur. You do not wat to be chopping a mortise 4 inches deep that is
super-snug. This renders the "it has to be imperial" requirement moot.

If you want your chisels the do double duty (cabinet and framing) that's a
bit of a differnt story, but I just can't see you using anything smaller
than a 1" chisel for timber framing.

You will want at least one "big guy", not just for the heft, but for the
reach. I have been really pleased with the HT 1.5. I have used it in some
cabinet making unanticipated cabinet applications (imagine trimming a
duchman flush requiring 5 inches of reach with the flat of the chisel to
register against the workpiece).

That said it's probably not quite up to LN standards. I ground off the edges
of both the rim of the ferule and the top of the socket just to make it a
tad more comfy to handle. It does, however perform well.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 7:06 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merch...ry_C ode=FABC

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Apr 4, 7:06 pm, "Jay Pique" wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

http://barrtools.com/Merchant2/merch...ry_C ode=FABC

Someone else suggested that. But I understood that he was looking for
mortise chisels, not framing or bench chisels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

"Jay Pique" wrote:

I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Ray Iles mostise chisels at toolsforworkingwood.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...egory_Code=CRI
no affiliation, yada yada

And from the same place:

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...gory_Code=TBMC

I've got a couple of these and they work great.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 8:04 am, "Stephen M"
wrote:
"Jay Pique" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

Being in the middle of a timber framing project right now, I'm a bit
confused.

Why would you be looking at 1" chisels for timber framing?

I'm not looking for chisels for timber framing. I'm looking for heavy
duty mortising chisels. Lie-Nielsen makes the statement that their
mortising chisels are meant for cabinetmaking, not timberframing.

JP

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

These are what I use. While I can't say there's nothing better, neither
can I say that they have ever fallen short in any way.
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...gory_Code=TBMC

Glen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 7, 6:58 am, Glen wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:
I'm looking for some good, heavy duty, truly imperial mortising
chisels. I've seen the Lie-Nielsen offering, but I was wondering if
there are any other good ones out there. I'm not opposed to buying
the LNs, but they're statement that they're for cabinetmaking and not
timberframing makes me a little nervous. Anything beefier out there?

JP

These are what I use. While I can't say there's nothing better, neither
can I say that they have ever fallen short in any way.http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/M...c?Session_ID=3...

If I worked in metric I'd definitely be interested in those.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 5, 2:02 am, charlieb wrote:
snip
http://www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/

These puppies are tough - the sides are squared so they
register well and the sides of the bevel also cut clean sides
for yourmortise. Unless you hit a nail you've be hard
pressed to hurt this chisels, especially the 3/4".

Boy, it's too bad he's not still making them. They look great. One
concern I have with the Ray Iles chisels is that the sides are made
not square. Is this likely to result in mortise sides that aren't
very clean - or significantly less clean than those made by square
sided chisels?

I emailed Jim to let him know that there's a potential customer out
here - maybe if we gang up on him he'll get back at it.

Thanks for all the help.
JP

Thanks much.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

Boy, it's too bad he's not still making them. They look great. One
concern I have with the Ray Iles chisels is that the sides are made
not square. Is this likely to result in mortise sides that aren't
very clean - or significantly less clean than those made by square
sided chisels?

The slight taper on the sides of most mortising chisels prevent them
from sticking in the mortise - a problem as you go deeper. But since
the chisel can be turned slightly in the mortise as you go, you can
make
a curved sides mortise. With the square sides there is a sticking
problem in deep mortises - and if you don't start off straight it'll
be
hard to straighten things out.

I emailed Jim to let him know that there's a potential customer out
here - maybe if we gang up on him he'll get back at it.

Can't hurt to ask. Might check with Steve Knight
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/
He used to sell them for Jim. Might have one left over somehow.

Thanks for all the help.

No problem. Pass it on when you can.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 7:33 pm, charlieb wrote:
JayPique wrote:
[...]

Jay, I agree with Charlie.

The Lie-Nielsen mortise chisels will handle everything you want to do
up to 1/2 inch wide.
Be sure to sharpen the beveled cutting edge to a higher angle (this is
essential for a long life for the edge), especially if you are cutting
hard dense wood.
If you don't want to pay for the whole set, just buy one in the size
you are most likely to use, to test it.
If you do, you will surely buy the others you need in the sizes that L-
N makes.

Regardless of the mortise chisels you choose, remember you don't need
to lever out all of the wood at one bite.
Small bites, say, maybe 1/8 by 1/4-to-3/8 deep, are a whole lot easier
to control and you won't need to worry about torquing the life out of
the chisel. Ian Kirby (see below) is a little aggressive about that,
but I think smaller bites are better, just pay a lot of attention to
aligning the chisel to the mortise cheeks when cutting and avoid
twisting or misaligning the chisel as you lever out the waste.

Remember that if you are cutting ebony, rosewood, wenge, or even hard
maple, you will need to be a slow, very small, and careful -- and
expect to resharpen often.

Also see Rob Cosman's excellent DVD Hand-Cut Mortise and Tenon, which
is also available directly from Lie-Nielsen.
He takes a more angled approach when starting the mortise, which is a
little easier to do that the straight vertical chop method usually
suggested. He uses mahogany for the mortise demos, I think, so the
wood you choose for your projects might be a little denser.

For cutting mortises wider than 1/2 inch, you can go to www.paragoncode.com
and email Jim Wilson to ask to have your name and order put on his
waiting list.
$$$. His website currently indicates that he is not yet resuming
mortise chisel production. You will need to grind these chisels
carefully to the angle appropriate for the big work you are doing and
you will, of course, also need to sharpen the chisels after grinding
the primary angle.

For mortises wider than 1/2 inch, if you cannot wait, try www.barrtools.com.
Barr Quarton has several large sizes, but remember that Barr's bigger
chisels are mainly for timberframing, so they do not have the
thickness of a mortise chisel and will require a different technique
to get the square, flat, and deep mortises you want.

I would pass on the Ray Iles mortising chisels. If you watch carefully
when a mortise chisel is driven into the wood and is used to complete
the mortise, you will find the mortise chisel has 7 cutting edges.
Having four of those cutting edges angled away from square or parallel
surely guarantees ragged mortises.

You might also search for Ian Kirby's instruction on mortise and tenon
work. It can be found best in Fine Woodworking soft cover book titled
On Joinery (copyright 1985) which may still be available directly from
www.taunton.com, or you can sometimes find it in a bookstore. Price is
a super bargain at $9.95, with old articles by Kirby, Frid, Odate,
Klausz, Boardman, and others.
The same articles are also available if you are a member of Fine
Woodworking's online service, which is also a super bargain, given all
the extensive knowledge that is available for download and storage on
your own computer or to a computer-storage device (CDs for example).

Jay, we have not yet determined why you were seeking beefier. What
are you planning to mortise?

Great cutting to you,

tommyers currently in CA