Steve Knight

Default plane trade gloat

I have several woodworkers in the underground basement where my shop is. one of
the fellow has this bike with him and I offered more as a joke a plane trade for
it. well he accepted. three planes. it is a fairly high end bike in the 2000.00
rage when new. I only need it right now for running around from my shop but the
price was right. http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/bike.jpg

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rich Stern

I have several woodworkers in the underground basement where my shop is. one
of
the fellow has this bike with him and I offered more as a joke a plane trade
for
it. well he accepted. three planes. it is a fairly high end bike in the
2000.00
rage when new. I only need it right now for running around from my shop but
the
price was right. http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/bike.jpg

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do
that a $250 bike won't?

Rich S.
Bob Gramza

:
: I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do
: that a $250 bike won't?
:
: Rich S.

Lighter weight, better gearing, smoother action, better braking....the list sort of goes on....

Digger

"Rich Stern" wrote in message

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does

it do
that a $250 bike won't?

Rich S.

Do you drive a Yugo?

Digger

Charlie Self

Digger notes:

"Rich Stern" wrote in message

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does

it do
that a $250 bike won't?

Rich S.

Do you drive a Yugo?

No, but IMO, whether the bike costs $250 or $2500, it's going to make your ass
hurt, so what's the difference.

Charlie Self

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

Steve Knight

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do
that a $250 bike won't?

it was cheep (G) well lets see it weighs only 18 pounds at most. it is very
responsive. takes very little breaking effort to stop. and it feels good to
ride.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On 14 Aug 2003 06:04:16 -0700, (Bigpole) wrote:

Did you take the motor off of it??

well the motor stays in my back pocket.
http://www.racycles.com/rd/catalog/c...us_2038691.htm
I guess I suck even more.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rick Chamberlain

In article , stevek@knight-
toolworks.com says...
On 14 Aug 2003 06:04:16 -0700, (Bigpole) wrote:

Did you take the motor off of it??

well the motor stays in my back pocket.
http://www.racycles.com/rd/catalog/c...us_2038691.htm
I guess I suck even more.

Steve,

Is your bike completely Campy? 25 years ago, I had a Bottechia with
Campy deraileurs. Incredibly nice stuff with a price to match.

Rick

charlieb

Rich Stern wrote:

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does it do
that a $250 bike won't?

For the first quarter mile, on the flats, nothing. After the first
climb the
difference between a 30 pound bike and a 20 pound bike starts becoming
apparent and should a cheap shifter through a chain when all your
weight
is on one peddle it'll be all to apparent. When your back starts
aching
because the bars and head set suck you'll start thinking upgrades.

And if you mountain bike or cyclo cross, titanium is nice.
Randy Chapman

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What does
it do
that a $250 bike won't?

What does a Unisaw do that a $100 Craftsman saw doesn't?

--randy

JackD

"Randy Chapman" wrote in message
.. .
I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What

does
it do
that a $250 bike won't?

What does a Unisaw do that a $100 Craftsman saw doesn't?

--randy

Would you like to trade that cow for a few of these colorful beans?

-Jack "be nimble"

Mike

"Frank Mutchler" wrote in message . net...
Mike, I'll assume you are sincere in your comment....not just trolling.

snip

Looks like I'd better work on my ability to convey sarcasm in ASCII.

Steve, I've got a nice Huffy ten speed for sale but I'll make you a
deal. One pefectly good Huffy for three Knight infills. Waddaya say?

Cheers,
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
( What does a Knight smoother do that a $15 Borg plane

won't?

Tim V

I'll trade you two 10-speed bikes (an Italian Bianchi men's and a unknown
brand women's) for one plane. Or really for anything else if someone has
something to offer.

--
Tim
--------

Silvan

Tim V wrote:

I'll trade you two 10-speed bikes (an Italian Bianchi men's and a unknown
brand women's) for one plane. Or really for anything else if someone has
something to offer.

You sound like us. I suppose most bikes sold to adults in the US suffer the
same fate.

My problem is that there's just nowhere to *ride* the thing unless I drive
there in a car, and if I have to drive my bicycle somewhere in a car, I
might as well just drive the car and be done with it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17207 Approximate word count: 516210

Dave Balderstone wrote:

All bikes weigh 50 pounds...

An 18 pound bike requires a 32 pound lock and chain;

A 40 pound bike requires a 10 pound lock and chain;

A 50 pound bike requires no lock and chain.

djb

rotflmao!

Wes

--
Reply to:
Lycos address is a spam trap.

Steve Knight

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:00:07 -0400, Silvan
My problem is that there's just nowhere to *ride* the thing unless I drive
there in a car, and if I have to drive my bicycle somewhere in a car, I
might as well just drive the car and be done with it.

I was the same way mountain biking. I had no car and I had to ride atleast 10
miles to a place I could mountain bike (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Rick Stein

?

well the motor stays in my back pocket.
http://www.racycles.com/rd/catalog/c...us_2038691.htm
I guess I suck even more.

Steve,

Is your bike completely Campy? 25 years ago, I had a Bottechia with
Campy deraileurs. Incredibly nice stuff with a price to match.

Rick

Was the Bottechia matte black with white? I was in the bike business for
20 plus years and sold Bottechia bikes for a while. Gold mavic Oro 10
rims? Tubulars? . . . Very cool bike!

Rick
http://thunderworksinc.com

John Thomas

(Rich Stern) wrote in
:

the
price was right.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/pictures/bike.jpg

I don't understand the appeal of a multi-thousand dollar bike. What
does it do that a $250 bike won't?

Rich S.

Steve,

Looks like a sweet bike. I raced in highschool, (quite some time ago!)
Oh, yeah ... you suck! I think you came out ahead on that deal.
..
Rich:

It's like the difference between a Unisaw, and a benchtop table saw --
night and day.

Regards,
JT
Renata

You know what? That's an excellent point!

Renata

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 21:44:17 GMT, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

All bikes weigh 50 pounds...

An 18 pound bike requires a 32 pound lock and chain;

A 40 pound bike requires a 10 pound lock and chain;

A 50 pound bike requires no lock and chain.

djb

--
------
WOMD?

Mike

Holy smokes!! Man, what a bike. You definitely do suck, huh?!

Pretty soon you'll be trading boats and cars for a few planes and the
rest of us mortals will never be able to have a Knight plane again

Mike

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
On 14 Aug 2003 06:04:16 -0700, (Bigpole) wrote:

Did you take the motor off of it??

well the motor stays in my back pocket.
http://www.racycles.com/rd/catalog/c...us_2038691.htm
I guess I suck even more.

Frank Mutchler

Mike, I'll assume you are sincere in your comment....not just trolling. Do
you use planes? Have you used more than one type of plane...a #5, or a
shoulder, bullnose, chisel, maybe a #7, or an manly #8 Stanley, or any of a
hundred others? If all you've done is push a $15 Borg, please stop what
you're doing and enroll in a basic woodworking class where you can do some
of the above. Then scrape up enough to buy a Steve Knight coffin
smoother....if you are contrite he may sell you one ;). After all the
above is acomplished you will no longer dwell in the realm of plane
ignorance or is that plain ignorance??

Cheers,

Frank

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
( What does a Knight smoother do that a $15 Borg plane

won't?

Cheers,
Mike

Gary Greenberg

Steve wrote
one of the fellow has this bike with him and I trade[d 3 planes] for
it. ...

Dang Steve, a Columbus SL classic Italian bike w/ what looks like
Campy components. You made out like a thief --- are you sure this
guy didn't steal that bike?!?
(of course, I jest as classic road bikes can be bought very inexpensively
off eBay and sometimes in Velo-News).
Still, you did great. Hope you have many safe & fun miles ridin' it.
;-p

Gary
Dave Balderstone

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Plane wood properly whilst looking good.

Finally... I have a couple of Steve's early versions. grin

If they weren't fantastic tools, I'd be jeealous of the late adopters
who are getting the pretty AND fantastic ones!

djb

--
------
WOMD?
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/000140.html
Edwin Pawlowski

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I have several woodworkers in the underground basement where my shop is.

one of
the fellow has this bike with him and I offered more as a joke a plane

trade for
it. well he accepted. three planes.

Two Piper Aztecs and a Beech for a bicycle? Does not sound like a bargain
to me.
Ed

Steve Knight

Is your bike completely Campy? 25 years ago, I had a Bottechia with
Campy deraileurs. Incredibly nice stuff with a price to match.

no it's a mix. the guy I traded with was a bicycle messenger. so parts are campy
and shimano and brands I don't know about (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

An 18 pound bike requires a 32 pound lock and chain;

A 40 pound bike requires a 10 pound lock and chain;

A 50 pound bike requires no lock and chain.

about right on that for sure (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Eric Lund

"Mike" wrote in message
om...
( What does a Knight smoother do that a $15 Borg plane

won't?

Cheers,
Mike

Perhaps if you look at Mike's post more closely, you will see the parallel
he is drawing. Just as the Knight smoother is a much more proficient tool,
the expensive bike is a much more proficient mode of transport.

Cheers,
Eric

ANCIENT MARINERS: Andean-Mexican seagoing trade Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 24 July 11th 04 04:54 AM
Gloat Ed G Woodworking 18 August 9th 03 03:37 PM
Scraper plane vs cabinet scraper vs scraper Tom Bergman Woodworking 10 August 3rd 03 12:16 AM