Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What wood is this from Madeira?

My SWMBO goes treasure hunting at yard and estate sales. Last week she
brought home an octagonal wooden platter with a rich reddish-brown glossy
finish. On the back it appears to have what may be a makers signature and
"Madeira."

Can you tell us what the wood is?

The pix are in ABPW.

Thanks.

George

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" wrote in message
My SWMBO goes treasure hunting at yard and estate sales. Last week she
brought home an octagonal wooden platter with a rich reddish-brown glossy
finish. On the back it appears to have what may be a makers signature and
"Madeira."

Can you tell us what the wood is?

The pix are in ABPW.

Thanks.

George

some type of mahogany

http://dict.die.net/madeira%20wood/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:43:14 -0400, "George"
wrote:

My SWMBO goes treasure hunting at yard and estate sales. Last week she
brought home an octagonal wooden platter with a rich reddish-brown glossy
finish. On the back it appears to have what may be a makers signature and
"Madeira."

Can you tell us what the wood is?

The pix are in ABPW.

Thanks.

George

Madeira simply means wood in Spanish but I guess you knew that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My SWMBO goes treasure hunting at yard and estate sales. Last week
she brought home an octagonal wooden platter with a rich
reddish-brown glossy finish. On the back it appears to have what
may be a makers signature and "Madeira."

Can you tell us what the wood is?

The pix are in ABPW.

Thanks.

George

Madeira simply means wood in Spanish but I guess you knew that.

That's "Madera". Madeira on the other hand is an autonomous region of
Portugal consisting of several islands in the Atlantic.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:03:56 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Madeira simply means wood in Spanish but I guess you knew that.

That's "Madera". Madeira on the other hand is an autonomous region of
Portugal consisting of several islands in the Atlantic.

I stand corrected. Having lived in both Spanish and Portuguese
speaking countries I sometimes confuse the orthography. However, note
that wood (Eng) is madera (sp) and madeira (portuguese).

Madeira is also a lovely island off the coast of Portugal which I
visited many years ago. It was a popular vacation site for older
Brits at the time. One of its main tourist attractions was to get
into a heavy wooden sled built on pole runners to be pulled to the to
of a hill by oxen. The sled trail consisted of slick granite paving
stones. At the top of the hill the sled was released and its
occupants would shoot to the bottom wondering if the sled would fly
apart (at least that's what I wondered).

In spite of its name I recall the island as having been fairly well
deforested, with the hills themselves being terraced to gain
additional agricultural land.

When I looked at the jpeg I was wondering if it could be a wood native
to Madeira but I doubt it. I have no idea what the wood is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Madeira to me is cake and port.
Posted to rec.woodworking