Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How can I make this?

I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off),
separated with opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Use a router with a 45 degree chamfer bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 4:15 pm, "Locutus" wrote:
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

The fastest an easier way is to take it to a shop that has a large
lath and have them do it. But it can be done with any of those tools
with a little enginuity, time and patiance. OR using the hand held
router:

1) start by doing a direct and full layout all around on the wood
post.
2) Find and mark the centers of the ends of the wood
3) drill the center of each end, to fit a large bolt, at least 4in
long, in it,
4) make two braces out of 2x4's, one for each end, drill a hole 1.5 in
down from the end of the 2x4slightly larger then the bolt diameter.
5) affix the 2x4's to the ends of the post with bolts.
6) brace the 2x4's to two sawhorses or other stable base.
7) use a wedge of wood between the post end and the 2x4 to hold the
post from rotating.
8) once secured, select your router bit, I would use a carbide cove.
9) set your depth of cut
10) then go slow and cut the pattern on one side.
11) turn the piece once all cuts are made on one side and then start
over.

if your hand routing is not steady you can hand pieces of wood as
guides and then just move the guides as you go along.

Roger

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off),
separated with opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Use a router with a 45 degree chamfer bit.

I considered that, and maybe I am missing something, but I don't think the
width of the chamfer would be equal to the sides? (unless I had a really
large bit)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off),
separated with opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

This is the shape I am looking for (a decagon):

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...ecagon.svg.png

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cut the post into three sections, do the middle section on the table saw
with the blade tilted to 22.5 degrees, then glue the three sections back
together (maybe using a 1" dowel as a tenon).

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

3 sections on the tablesaw is probably quicker and easier. 2nd choice
would be bandsaw. But if you're poor and adventurous then make yourself
a frame saw, cut the center section by hand (slowly, and perhaps with a
helper) and clean up with spokeshave, plane and chisel. You probably
won't get exact geometrical even-ness (at first) but if it's a project
where machine-cut accuracy isn't absolutely necessary, then you're all set.

J.

Locutus wrote:
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
. ..
Cut the post into three sections, do the middle section on the table saw
with the blade tilted to 22.5 degrees, then glue the three sections back
together (maybe using a 1" dowel as a tenon).

Lee

Lee, that's what I was thinking as well, was hoping I was missing something
obvious that would allow me to keep the post in tact.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now that I see the picture I finally understand.

Make a cradle to hold the post on its side and do it with the router
table with a long fluted endmill (spiral) type cutter. You might want
to steup some stops at each end for repatability and use the miter
slot if you have one on the table and make it a sled. If you use the
slot you'll be going perpendicular to the normal travel direction so
hopefully your fence an come completly off. Maybe multiple passes
knocking off about 1/4" with each pass.

On Mar 15, 1:15 pm, "Locutus" wrote:
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle
(I think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and
bottoms should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off),
separated with opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

Take 2 pieces 6" X 2" X 6' long. Needs to be 6" (5.6" to be technical) to
allow for diagonal measurement of 4X4
Screw end plates to each end allowing approx 6" gap inbetween with 6X2's on
edge.
Should look like a box 6" high X 6' Long X 10" wide
Drill hole in centre of end plates
Mark centres in end of post
Use coach bolt / large screw through end of box jig into centre of post
ends.
Now you should have a rigid frame in which the post is mounted and can be
rotated.
screw a 'stop' across the top at each end at required length of moulded
section.
Since you have ten sides each side will be at an angle of 36deg to each
other.
Wedge post into appropriate angle.
Now run along top of box jig just using a straight cut router bit of your
choice. I would use something around 3/4" which would only require a cpl of
runs. if you like you could use a fence to run along the side of the box
jig. Depending on the size of your router base and your usage skill level
you may also like to attach a larger base plate to your router.

repeat 10 times and a quick sand and your done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 4:48 pm, "Roger" wrote:
[...]

Now that I see the shape you desire I understand better. I
originally thought you were going to cut spirals like a barber post.
By looking at the picture, I would use the table saw. Rough off the
corners of the post and then proceed with previous postings on this
topic. Try a few pieces with scrap wood first though.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

OK. A three inch long router bit in a 14 foot router table. Everyone has
those. No problem.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Roger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Now that I see the shape you desire I understand better. I
originally thought you were going to cut spirals like a barber post.
By looking at the picture, I would use the table saw. Rough off the
corners of the post and then proceed with previous postings on this
topic. Try a few pieces with scrap wood first though.

Leaving the ends square would be a bit of a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe you don't follow. To cut the 22.5 degree flats on a 4x4 he shows
in his sketch only requires much less than an inch for depth of cut,
do the math. So any cutter that will extend an inch above the router
table is gona work. Any good spiral bit is probably 2 1/2" long.

Why you need a 14' table I don't understand. I assumed he wanted just
a small section at the center to have the octogon figure. He dis say
at the center with the ends still square. An assumption on my part I
guess and I could be wrong. In that case I might make a fixture to
ride on the post. Too hard to describe but would take me about an hour
to build.

On Mar 16, 4:09 pm, "CW" wrote:
[...]

(rough sketch posted in abpw)- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why is it your constant approach to offer snide criticisms and not just
offer a solution. You seem to want to show you are smarter, but not
actually be helpful. Occasionaly you break out of your own mould and show
you have the knowledge to help and use it.

Maybe I am too sensitive.

"CW" wrote in message
link.net...
OK. A three inch long router bit in a 14 foot router table. Everyone has
those. No problem.

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now that I see the picture I finally understand.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 4:15 pm, "Locutus" wrote:
I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

20 minutes work on a jointer. That is what jointers do, and just may
be their raison d'etre.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 18, 2:15 pm, "Robatoy" wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:15 pm, "Locutus" wrote:

I have a 4x4 x 6' post. I would like the center to be cut at 22 deg angle (I
think) all the way around, to give it circular look. The tops and bottoms
should remain square. (maybe with the corners beveled off), separated with
opposing 45 deg bevels.

I have a table saw, router table and hand held router and various other
common hand tools.

Is this possible without making it in three sections? I hope this makes
sense!

Thanks.

(rough sketch posted in abpw)

20 minutes work on a jointer. That is what jointers do, and just may
be their raison d'etre.

....forgot to mention that you would be limited to the amount you can
drop down the out-feed table... something to keep in mind during lay-
out.

What did I make? (May be useful to others) foggytown Woodworking 13 February 21st 06 06:03 AM
How do they make...? sPoNiX UK diy 2 January 13th 06 04:07 PM
Does anyone make... Grant Robertson UK diy 10 October 27th 05 10:44 PM
Anyone here make one of these? J T Woodworking 2 September 26th 05 04:28 AM
AD: Make Crafts at Home and Make extra money on the side! Tim Metalworking 0 September 5th 04 11:50 PM