Posted to rec.woodworking

Default In search of a measurement conversion table/chart

In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!
Posted to rec.woodworking

condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

If you have Excel, you could probably print one up for your needs -
metric to English, Celcisus to Fahrenheit, etc. all you need is
the conversion formulae. I just checked and couldn't find it as
a built-in function. Doesn't mean that someone has it available
somewhere.

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

1/32" 0.031
1/16" 0.063
3/32" 0.094
1/8" 0.125
5/32" 0.156
3/16" 0.188
7/32" 0.219
1/4" 0.250
9/32" 0.281
5/16" 0.313
11/32" 0.344
3/8" 0.375
13/32" 0.406
7/16" 0.438
15/32" 0.469
1/2" 0.500
17/32" 0.531
9/16" 0.563
19/32" 0.594
5/8" 0.625
21/32" 0.656
11/16" 0.688
23/32" 0.719
3/4" 0.750
25/32" 0.781
13/16" 0.813
27/32" 0.844
7/8" 0.875
29/32" 0.906
15/16" 0.938
31/32" 0.969

wrote in message
In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

Posted to rec.woodworking

In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

I know what you mean - I have one that goes from decimal english to
fractional english, but it'd be nice to have metric in there too.
Such a good idea, in fact, that I decided to make one in a format that
I like. I got it from http://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm, but did
a little bit of reformating in Excel so I could resize it, etc.
For example:
fraction decimal mm
1/64 0.0156 0.3969
1/32 0.0313 0.7938
3/64 0.0469 1.1906
1/16 0.0625 1.5875
5/64 0.0781 1.9844
3/32 0.0938 2.3813
7/64 0.1094 2.7781
1/8 0.125 3.175

You can get this at the URL above, or if you want my excel or pdf
file, you can post back.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

Would one for your computer work?

http://www.savardsoftware.com/masterconverter/

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

Here's imperial to decimal for downloading on my website:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/Fra...imal_chart.gif

Prints out nicely when resized. I keep a copy over my computer before I
finally learned how to deal with both imperial and decimal using my CAD
program

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

Most machine shop supply places have these as give away items. Often it has
not only fraction to decimal, but tap drills, letter and number drill sizes
as well.

Also I believe that McMaster's catalog has the chart in the back matter of
the book.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.woodworking

In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

Here's a nice program that is used by a lot of metrologists:

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Also NIST has some things available electronically on their website
(www.metric/nist.gov).

Such as :
NIST SP 1038- The International System of Units (SI) - Conversion Factors
for General Use

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasure...oad/SP1038.pdf

NIST SP 365- Metric Conversion Cards

http://ts.nist.gov/WeightsAndMeasure...36c.cfm#cminch)

Lloyd Baker

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also NIST has some things available electronically on their website
(www.metric/nist.gov).

sorry I had a senior moment...

(www.nist.gov/metric)

Lloyd Baker

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
In times past there was a small chart/table with lots of conversions
from decimal to Imperial/Metric/... above the bench. No more, don't
know where it went and haven't found a replacement anywhere. Very
condensed, about a 3X5 card size would be ideal. Ideas welcomed!

The back side of a Lee Valley steel ruler has such information. I keep three
of them hanging above my bench. The 6" ruler is normally on my bench.