Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting Board Wood Selection

Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Joseph Handy" wrote:
Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Birdseye maple is not a separate species; the term refers to a particular type
of figure sometimes found in the wood of both hard and soft maples.

Hard maple, with or without birdseye figure, is a better choice for a cutting
board than soft maple, with or without birdseye.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 1:57 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Joseph Handy" wrote:
Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Birdseye maple is not a separate species; the term refers to a particular type
of figure sometimes found in the wood of both hard and soft maples.

Hard maple, with or without birdseye figure, is a better choice for a cutting
board than soft maple, with or without birdseye.

--
Regards,

My father gave me some extra maple doors from a cabinet installation a
friend of his did. How can I determine if these are hard maple or not?
If they're not, the wood should still be OK for a cutting board, no?

I need a new cutting board and would like to use this wood, instead of
buying a new one.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 6, 1:57 pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Joseph Handy"
wrote:
[...]

It will be fine. If it is soft maple it will wear faster than hard would.
Not a big deal.
There is no real difference between "hard" and "soft"; just that some
species tend to be harder than others.
If you really cared, you would have to compare it to a piece of hard maple
and see how it seems to compare.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Toller" wrote:

There is no real difference between "hard" and "soft"; just that some
species tend to be harder than others.

Don't be silly. There is an enormous difference in hardness between the hard
maples (sugar and black) and the soft maples (silver, red and bigleaf,
chiefly). The difference in hardness between sugar and silver maples is
particularly pronounced.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in
ups.com:

Snip

My father gave me some extra maple doors from a cabinet installation a
friend of his did. How can I determine if these are hard maple or not?
If they're not, the wood should still be OK for a cutting board, no?

I need a new cutting board and would like to use this wood, instead of
buying a new one.

-Nathan

I have a bunch of cutting boards from who knows where. Well, some of them
are from Macy's, and are made of some used-up latex growing tree, as near
as I can tell. Those darned things won't wear out,so I can throw them
away, without irritating LOML.

There may be a 'BEST', but it's comforting to know that we can get along
with 'OK' pretty well, most of the time.

By the way, the cutting board I glued up for my daughter-in-law's kitchen
was made from figured soft maple. It's part of her counter. Much easier
than finding a longer piece of matching plastic laminate counter. And
she's thrilled.

Well, she'll be more thrilled when I install the drawers in the cabinets.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

If they're not, the wood should still be OK for a cutting board, no?

Any maple will be FINE for a cutting board. So would cherry, walnut,
bamboo, plastic, etc. etc. Professional chefs probably like hard
maple specifically for its long life and density, and end grain for
its self-healing ability, but for most average people who don't use a
cutting board heavily every single day, just about anything is fine.
I might stay away from oak or other things with big open pores, but
other than that, pick a wood you like and go for it. My parents used
a "cutting board" for more than 10 years that I made in middle school
shop - this was actually a square of 3/4" CX plywood. My wife's
parents have used a chunk of pine 1x10 for who knows how long - maybe
20 years? Sure the surface is quite worn, but it works. They just
throw it in the dishwasher, let it sit with food on it, and whatever
else you're not supposed to do with cutting boards, but it still
works.
Don't be so concerned about the perfect wood for a cutting board -
make one, use it, and if it has problems, chalk it up to experience
and make another one.
Have fun woodworking,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Birdseye maple is not a separate species; the term refers to a particular type
of figure sometimes found in the wood of both hard and soft maples.

Hard maple, with or without birdseye figure, is a better choice for a cutting
board than soft maple, with or without birdseye.

My father gave me some extra maple doors from a cabinet installation a
friend of his did. How can I determine if these are hard maple or not?

You can dent soft maple with your fingernail, but not hard maple.

If they're not, the wood should still be OK for a cutting board, no?

Sure. It'll wear faster, but it'll still work fine.

I need a new cutting board and would like to use this wood, instead of
buying a new one.

Go for it.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

To get to the real heart of the matter you should use whatever type of wood
you desire and then place a plastic or some other type of cutting board on
top of it when you are cutting,something that can go into the dishwasher or
be washed very thoroughly for hygienic sake.
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
t...

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Arvid Sorsdahl wrote:
To get to the real heart of the matter you should use whatever type of wood
you desire and then place a plastic or some other type of cutting board on
top of it when you are cutting,something that can go into the dishwasher or
be washed very thoroughly for hygienic sake.

There is some research indicating that wood is actually more hygenic
than plastic. There's nothing at all wrong with cutting directly on wood.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Ron is offline

I built several 2 holidays ago as gifts using various combinations hard
maple, cherry, walnut and purpleheart.

Ron

"Joseph Handy" wrote in message
Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 1:52 pm, "Joseph Handy" wrote:
Just wondering what would be the prefered wood for cutting boards.

Hard rock maple would seem to fit the bill, would Birdseye maple withstand
daily use as well?

Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't use the birds-eye sections of your maple for a
cutting board. You will never see the really cool figure as well as if
you made them into panels or a table top. I would make the cutting
board from cutoffs of a project that would better accentuate the birds-
eye better.