Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sale on Forstners

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

They're he http://tinyurl.com/36yarp

Thanks.

Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

They're he http://tinyurl.com/36yarp

Thanks.

Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

True, they're different sized sets, but I'm mostly looking to find if
anyone has ever used the CTC Forstners, and what they think of them.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote in message
Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

They're he http://tinyurl.com/36yarp

Look at it this way. You get a nice box. In reality, you will probably only
ever use a few sizes to any extent. When they wear out, replace them with
high quality bits and you still have the others for the occasional hole of
that size you may need. My Forstner use is about 40% 3/4", 55% 3/8", and
the rest combined the other 5%.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tanus" wrote:

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?

LOOKS LIKE STANDARD CHEAP GARBAGE TO ME.

I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

CRAP IS WHAT YOU WILL GET.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 11:23 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Tanus" wrote in message
Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

They're he http://tinyurl.com/36yarp

Look at it this way. You get a nice box. In reality, you will probably only
ever use a few sizes to any extent. When they wear out, replace them with
high quality bits and you still have the others for the occasional hole of
that size you may need. My Forstner use is about 40% 3/4", 55% 3/8", and
the rest combined the other 5%.

General consensus seems to be that these things won't last that long.
I don't have a pressing need for Forstner bits, as I don't have a
drill press, but thought I'd take advantage of a sale. Maybe, on
second thought, I'll just pick up onsies and twosies at LV as the need
arises.

Thanks.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tanus wrote:

I don't have a pressing need for Forstner bits, as I don't have a
drill press, but thought I'd take advantage of a sale. Maybe, on
second thought, I'll just pick up onsies and twosies at LV as the need
arises.

Go carbide when you do.

I have a Freud set that was about $90 USD when I bought it.

They work for me.

Add some brad point drills to cover the 1/4-1/2 range and you are good
to go.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Tanus wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

After reading your post I went and bought a set yesterday, got home,
took a look at them and returned them today, very poor quality.

Home Depot has pretty good ones, paid about $10.00 for a 7/8" a while
ago, probably better to just buy them as needed.

FrankC

--
http://doit101.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Frank Campbell wrote:
In article , Tanus wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the Forstners that Canadian Tire sells?
They have them on sale this week for less than half price, and less than
half of what LV would sell their HSS bits for. I don't mind saving a few
bucks, but don't want to buy crap either.

After reading your post I went and bought a set yesterday, got home,
took a look at them and returned them today, very poor quality.

Home Depot has pretty good ones, paid about $10.00 for a 7/8" a while
ago, probably better to just buy them as needed.

FrankC

Hi Frank,

I think that's likely what I'll do. I didn't bother getting them because
of what some folks had said just looking at the CTC site. But as someone
mentioned, earlier and as you've said, getting one or two when you need
them is likely the best way to build up a stock.

Tanus

--
This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

The last ½ off sale. Steve knight Woodworking 0 June 2nd 06 06:28 AM
Ot for sale daniel peterman Metalworking 7 November 17th 05 02:12 AM
Convalco Forstners: alignment? Fred Woodworking 1 September 27th 05 09:53 PM
for sale Stephen Palmes Woodturning 0 April 25th 05 11:42 PM
How about a serious sale? Never Enough Money Woodworking 35 January 6th 05 03:15 PM