Posted to rec.woodworking
Junior Member

Default Proxxon Mini Grinder

Does anyone have experience with the Proxxon mini grinder, a.k.a.
Merlin? I burnt out the one I had in a week, sent it back and got a
refund. I think I may have applied too much pressure and either
stripped the gears or bearings. I didn't take it apart, voiding the
warranty. Anyway, I keep seeing them popping up on ebay (rebuilt or
slightly used). I'm considering buying it again, did I just abuse it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

marcaf wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the Proxxon mini grinder, a.k.a.
Merlin? I burnt out the one I had in a week, sent it back and got a
refund. I think I may have applied too much pressure and either
stripped the gears or bearings. I didn't take it apart, voiding the
warranty. Anyway, I keep seeing them popping up on ebay (rebuilt or
slightly used). I'm considering buying it again, did I just abuse it?

If your refering to their little disk grinder - I've had one for a
couple
of years. Only used the two carbide toothed disk once or twice -
WAY too aggressive for my needs. Use the Kurzwell (?) medium
and fine curved profile "disks" and the sanding disks for spoons,
hand saw handles and other small freehand shaping work. Am
experimenting with it on turnings. Works fine for those applications
though it's a bit noisy. Variable speed is kind of handy.

What were you using it for?

charlie b