Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thin strip jig plan wanted`

Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any voids
in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood strips.
My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

There is a method for cutting repeatable thin strips on a table saw.
I'll try to explain.

1. Rip a piece of stock just enought to clean up the edge.

2. Set the stock asside.

3. Now move the fence to the left by the width of the balde + the
thickness of the strip you want.

4. Place the stock back against the fence in front of the blade in the
same orientation it was ripped.

5. Make a stop on the table top so you can repeate this placement. I
typically just use an adjustable square and place the edge in the left
side t-track and adjust the ruler out until it touches the stock, then
lock it. In this manner, you can put the square in the slot each time
you move the fence over (with the stock in place) until the stock hits
the end of the ruler. Then set the square aside and rip with no
binding.

6. Rinse and repeat as many times as you need to slice thin pieces off
the outside of the blade.

BW

On Feb 22, 9:25 am, "Will" wrote:
Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any voids
in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood strips.
My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will wrote:

Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any voids
in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood strips.
My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for your help.

My variation on that jig is to use a 10-32 brass screw with a brass
knurled knob braized in at the head; I have it threaded into a tapped
hole in the wood piece. I can make micro adjustments by turning the
knob by hand; 1 turn = 1/32", 1/4 turn is 1/128", etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Will" wrote in message
Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any

voids
in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood strips.
My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for your

help.

I've used all sorts of devices/jigs down through the years.

My "go to" for thin strips on the table saw is now a "Grr-ripper" for
anything 1/4" and up in thickness. It is just too fast and easy to mess with
anything else, IMO.

I just did another 20' of 3/8" x 3/4" strips for loose tenons day before
yesterday quickly and easily ... no setup whatsoever.

http://www.microjig.com/

YMMV ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Will" wrote in message
My "go to" for thin strips on the table saw is now a "Grr-ripper" for
anything 1/4" and up in thickness. It is just too fast and easy to mess
with
anything else, IMO.

I just did another 20' of 3/8" x 3/4" strips for loose tenons day before
yesterday quickly and easily ... no setup whatsoever.

Yep the Grr-Ripper is the bees-knees for safe cutting of small strips on the
tablesaw.
It's an essential table saw accessory in my book!
here's a review http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/grr-ripper.htm

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 110+ woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- GMC Strike Allnailer
- Ellsworth Bowl Gouge
- Leigh D1600 Dovetail Jig + Isoloc templates
- Dyco Router Table
- Nova Cole Jaws
- PowerTwist Link Belts
=========================

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

The gripper works great. For anything thinner, a wooden version of it works
well. No jig needed for thin strips.

"Swingman" wrote in message

I've used all sorts of devices/jigs down through the years.

My "go to" for thin strips on the table saw is now a "Grr-ripper" for
anything 1/4" and up in thickness. It is just too fast and easy to mess

with
anything else, IMO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

American Woodworker magazine #126, December 2006/January 2007, page 70 has a
jig you can make. It looks pretty easy. I'm in the process, but got
sidetracked building a TV stand and file cabinets.

"Will" wrote in message
m...
Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any
voids in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood
strips. My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for
your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've seen the jigs described here by others, but I offer different method.
Instead of a jig, I made up several zero-clearance throat plates (good use
for scrap wood) that have short, stubby splitters just behind the blade. I
make the splitters out of wood too and they're usually very short so they
don't protrude above whatever I'm cutting.

Then, I set the blade height to be just high enough to clear the stock.
Lastly, I have a push-block that is no more than a piece of 2x4 turned on
edge with a block of wood glued across the heel of the 2x4 to give it some
bite as it's being use to push pieces through.

Next, set your fence to whatever thickness you need (I've done down to about
1/16, but that's as close as I like to let my fence get). I use the 2x4
push-block because the table saw blade will cut into the block, but that's
okay. It's just a 2x4.

This procedure works very well and seems pretty safe. The key is to have a
stubby splitter in the throat plate and use a sacrificial push block to push
the pieces through.

The advantage, IMO, is that you don't have to keep resetting your fence as
you cut. Once you're setup, you can just keep cutting.

I have a gripper too and if I'm doing something wider than 1/4", I use it.
I agree with others here that they work very well.

Mike

"Will" wrote in message
m...
Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any
voids in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood
strips. My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for
your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Will" writes:

Do any of you have a site for downloading such a plan? I would like to use
these for edge banding instead of the iron on stuff. If there are any voids
in the edge of plywood they would not be noticeable with thin wood strips.
My WWII blade does a fine job of cutting thin pieces. Thanks for your help.

The Tolpin tablesaw book has an interesting jig that uses a vacuum to
hold the strip against the fence.