Bob Gramza

Default Cutting out a broken screw

"Jim Martin" wrote in message
: Hello All:
:
: Yesterday I broke off a lag bolt in hard maple. Today, I broke off a screw
: extractor.... argggg!
:
: Next option is to use a hole saw to cut out the screw along with a section
: of the wood. I remember that someone makes a small hole saw just for this
: application. I thought it was Lee Valley but I don't see it on thier web
: site. Seems that the smallest regular hole saw is 5/8", which is much bigger
: than I need.
:
: Anybody know the hole saw, broken screw tool I am thinking of?
:
: Thanks,
:
: Jim
:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...D=439&CATID=7:
:

Thomas Mitchell

I'd recommend a face shield from the description that my friend gave me
of the way his shattered.

qedude wrote:
Funny you should say that I just had the same thing happen to me using the
Woodcraft extractor. I had just started the hole and it shattered scattering
pieces everywhere. Make sure you wear eye protection and gloves when using
these. I could easily break the shattered pieces with a pair of pliers so IMHO
these extractors are too brittle to be safe/useful.

Scott Hogsten

In article ,
says...

Jim Martin wrote:

Hello All:

Yesterday I broke off a lag bolt in hard maple. Today, I broke off a screw
extractor.... argggg!

Next option is to use a hole saw to cut out the screw along with a section
of the wood. I remember that someone makes a small hole saw just for this
application. I thought it was Lee Valley but I don't see it on thier web
site. Seems that the smallest regular hole saw is 5/8", which is much bigger
than I need.

Anybody know the hole saw, broken screw tool I am thinking of?

Thanks,

Jim

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (