Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blow Dust Outside vs filter?

Would there be reason I should not duct the output of my 2hp Dust Collector
(Harbor Freight) through a wall to the outside and into a trash container?
What I have in mind is to send the 5" duct output from the impeller through
the garage wall, via an metal 5" duct transition through the wall. I would
then attach another 5" duct section on the outside wall to the cyclone
section of the unit which would be mounted over a garbage can and with no
filter or collection bags, or in other words open to the air on the top and
the bottom of the cyclone unit. It would look as shown in the first picture
of the Wynn modification instructions below.
http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

After reading the BillPentz.com information, even fine filtering inside is
still a health issue and the best solution is to send it outside.

Any thoughts appreciated

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in message
[...]

If you are in an enclosed environment the dust flying out side should not be
a problem other than every thing out side being dusty.

Posted to rec.woodworking
TH TH is offline

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

"trs80" wrote in message
[...]

Depending on your location, the make-up air here is mighty cold!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 22:16:38 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

Would there be reason I should not duct the output of my 2hp Dust Collector
(Harbor Freight) through a wall to the outside and into a trash container?
What I have in mind is to send the 5" duct output from the impeller through
the garage wall, via an metal 5" duct transition through the wall. I would
then attach another 5" duct section on the outside wall to the cyclone
section of the unit which would be mounted over a garbage can and with no
filter or collection bags, or in other words open to the air on the top and
the bottom of the cyclone unit. It would look as shown in the first picture
of the Wynn modification instructions below.
http://www.wynnenv.com/9e300bl_conversion.htm

After reading the BillPentz.com information, even fine filtering inside is
still a health issue and the best solution is to send it outside.

Any thoughts appreciated

Two issues--heat/air conditioning and neighbors.

If your'e running a proper cyclone there shouldn't be a whole lot of
dust coming out, but if it's cold outside a 2 hp dust collector is
going to bring all that cold _inside_ pretty quickly. Still if you
have nearby neighbors there may be enough dust coming out to be an
annoyance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in message
[...]

If you're blowing all that dust-filled (and heated) air outside, and you
keep your doors and windows closed, you won't have much air velocity to your
cyclone. If you open a door or window (or both) to get sufficient air flow
to the outside, it's probably going to get pretty cold pretty fast in the
winter (and pretty warm pretty fast in the summer). If you live in San
Diego or Hawaii, this might not be too much of a problem...

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Pretty sure Bill discusses the problem of providing make-up air, and
that it might not be legal to do this in your area. Without enough
makeup air you can create enough negative pressure to suck the exhaust
gases out of your furnace or gas appliances. That's somewhat of a
more immediate problem than sawdust.

And the trash can should be in the same room as you so you can see
when it needs to be emptied. When it gets full it stops collecting
and everything goes right through it, which even though it would be
outside is probably not what you want to happen, or else why bother
with the cyclone lid at all.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:48:25 -0800, "trs80" wrote:

lol Its not like I walk by the garbage cans frequently. LOL

A planer or jointer can fill a garbage can REAL fast.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:

| Any thoughts appreciated

Give a bit of thought to what you're going to be sucking _into_ the
shop (and through what openings) as well as what will be blown _out_
of the shop along with the dust.

If any of your neighbors downwind have allergies or hang wash outdoors
to dry, you might expect to hear from them and/or your local public
health department.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

no problem. vents in garage walls.
no problem. Goes into garbage can to collect dust.
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
trs80 wrote:

| Any thoughts appreciated

Give a bit of thought to what you're going to be sucking _into_ the
shop (and through what openings) as well as what will be blown _out_
of the shop along with the dust.

If any of your neighbors downwind have allergies or hang wash outdoors
to dry, you might expect to hear from them and/or your local public
health department.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Assuming the obvious loss of heated/cooled air is not an issue for you
then I think there are two considerations. First is there any problem
blowing dust in the outside area. If you are on a farm or have a
multi-acre estate then you are the only person that would care. If you
live 5 feet from your neighbor's house, they might have a thought or
two. Second, what are you sucking back into your shop. All air blown
outside is replaced by air coming in from outside. Hopefully the dust
blown out won't be in the air sucked back in ;-) I do wonder if your
air is so good where you live that it is appreciably cleaner than air
pumped through a 1 or .5 micron filter?

Dave Hall

Posted to rec.woodworking

hvac no problem. unheated garage and always nice weather
Outside not problem. WOuld be blown into garbage can
air here does not have .5 micron particulates
"Dave Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in :

hvac no problem. unheated garage and always nice weather
Outside not problem. WOuld be blown into garbage can
air here does not have .5 micron particulates

David Marks is in Santa Rosa, on maybe an acre of land in the suburbs. His
cyclone is 30' from his shop, and drops into a small pile on the ground.
Where you're in San Diego, it will work at least as well. You may want to
water the dust pile occasionally.

David works with the doors open most of the time.

Patriarch