Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The new Kraftmaid Venicia Cabinet question.

I picked up a Kraftmaid catalog the other day after seeing a display
of the Cabinets at Lowes. How do they put a coat on them that makes
them look like they have a sheet of glass on the wood, they look
beautiful, but I am sure that they will scratch easy. Also is there
anyway that a DIY'er can make a coating like that on projects?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 Feb 2007 19:40:15 -0800, "bdeditch" wrote:

I picked up a Kraftmaid catalog the other day after seeing a display
of the Cabinets at Lowes. How do they put a coat on them that makes
them look like they have a sheet of glass on the wood, they look
beautiful, but I am sure that they will scratch easy. Also is there
anyway that a DIY'er can make a coating like that on projects?

They likely do it with a carefully tuned spray application system and
some sort of high tech finish. And it is likely to be more difficult
to scratch than you would expect.

Doing that yourself, you get the same sort of coating--might be a 2K
polyurethane, might be a catalyzed lacquer, might be a phenolic, might
be an epoxy, might be something else, and apply it and then if you
don't get the finish you want as applied you polish it. If you don't
need the durabilty of the high tech stuff a conventional lacquer can
give you a marvelous finish.