Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Any Experience with Wagner Paint Sprayer?

"Yes, I have one", he said, sputtering.
Older model, bought new, but ran almost $100 then. I think their design is still spring and piston, though.
Paint must be thinned to use, using their (provided) viscosity funnel. With good latexes, this can approach 50/50, probably destroying the characteristics of the paint. Adjustment was tweaky, at that.
The piston assembly heats up with use to the point where if you pause for a few seconds or spray extended amounts, the paint hardens on the nozzle, clogging the hole. Disassemble and clean frequently (every 10 minutes?). Last time I used it, I sprayed, the paint on, then went back and brushed the whole thing to get it even. Since it was so diluted, I then had to put brush on two more coats.
When I finally got an I got an air compressor, I bought the cheapie Campbell Hausfield sprayer (about $30) at WalMart, and it's a joy to use for everything I've tried to put through it, thick or thin, house paint to furniture finishes. Since they're light duty models, you can't torque them around, but I'd buy another air compessor model before I'd open the Wagner box that's still somewhere in the shop.
Newer Wagner models may work better, but I'm not willing to find out. Air is too easy.

I have been reading this digest for awhile. Now I have something to
ask.

Anyone have experience with a Wagner paint sprayer or similar? If so,
how do you like it? Will it spray something besides vertical walls,
etc? Is there a better one for small jobs?

I know this isn't what is usually considered woodworking but I know
woodworkers do a lot of things and many of you have a lot of varied
experience.

Thanks,
Richard

Any Experience with Wagner Paint Sprayer? Richard Woodworking 24 January 31st 07 01:09 AM
New Wagner sprayer Fred Home Repair 2 August 16th 05 10:34 PM
FS: WAGNER AIRLESS SPRAYER, UPGRADES, ROLLER ATTACHMENT [email protected] Home Ownership 1 August 4th 05 02:55 PM
wagner power sprayer snpboy Home Repair 6 April 11th 05 09:57 PM
Wagner sprayer for baseboards Bead Runner Home Repair 7 August 29th 04 11:41 PM