Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default light switch for 220V circuit?

Hello, I'm upgrading my DC to one that requires 220Volts.

Currently, I use light switches to turn on my DC. When I rewire, is it
safe to use 20A lightswitches on a 220 V line? The switches appear to
be rated by amps, but maybe they just assume you are only using 110 ..
Thus, I am asking. If it's unsafe, is there a source where I can buy a
safe 220V switch (I'm sure the Borg won't carry it).

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 5:33 pm, "bf" wrote:
Hello, I'm upgrading my DC to one that requires 220Volts.

Currently, I use light switches to turn on my DC. When I rewire, is it
safe to use 20A lightswitches on a 220 V line? The switches appear to
be rated by amps, but maybe they just assume you are only using 110 ..
Thus, I am asking. If it's unsafe, is there a source where I can buy a
safe 220V switch (I'm sure the Borg won't carry it).

Thanks in advance.

Hey bf,
I hope I am not insulting your intelligence with this comment but the
main reason to use a switch rated for 220v is because both leads going
in are hot and the double pole/single throw switch isolates both
"hots" when when off (or open). And yes, like the others stated,
these switches are available from the BORG, at least in my (red)neck
of the woods.
When you rewire, are you going with your existing wire too? What
gauge is that? I can't quote codes but I think 14 gauge might be too
small for most 220v motors and their respective current demands. It
would not hurt if you ran a larger guage for this machine. (Twelve is
a good size)

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

On Jan 30, 9:21 pm, "marc rosen" wrote:

Hey bf,
I hope I am not insulting your intelligence with this comment but the
main reason to use a switch rated for 220v is because both leads going
in are hot and the double pole/single throw switch isolates both
"hots" when when off (or open). And yes, like the others stated,
these switches are available from the BORG, at least in my (red)neck
of the woods.
When you rewire, are you going with your existing wire too? What
gauge is that? I can't quote codes but I think 14 gauge might be too
small for most 220v motors and their respective current demands. It
would not hurt if you ran a larger guage for this machine. (Twelve is
a good size)

Marc

Nope, you aren't insulting my intelligence at all.. great info by you,
Toller, and Chris.
I am going to use 12 guage, but I had no clue what a double pole
switch was. Thanks!