Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Paint/Finish can closing?

I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.

You know those can closer things they have at the paint counter? Pull
a lever and the lid is sealed up. That thing. Well, it always seems
to work out that I can get another coat of finish on before going to
bed, but everyone else has gone to bed already. No problem, finishing
is quiet. Except for sealing the lid back on the can. So I end up
screwing around with clamps, and the clamp slips off and takes a noisy
trip to the concrete floor. And if the ring around the can starts
getting gunked up even with a mallet it can be hard to get it to seal
all the way. So I thought to myself, why not get one of those things
they have at the store. Well all I can find through google is this:

http://www.thecarycompany.com/contai...cancloser.html

$240? You've got to be kidding me.

I was thinking about getting a cheap harbor freight/ebay vise with
enough travel for a quart can and mounting it vertically, but maybe
someone has a better idea.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote in
:

*snip*

I was thinking about getting a cheap harbor freight/ebay vise with
enough travel for a quart can and mounting it vertically, but maybe
someone has a better idea.

-Leuf

Why not simply use a rubber mallet? Put the can on a piece of thin
carpet or some very firm but padded surface and it should create almost
no noise at all.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.thecarycompany.com/contai...cancloser.html

$240? You've got to be kidding me.

I was thinking about getting a cheap harbor freight/ebay vise with
enough travel for a quart can and mounting it vertically, but maybe
someone has a better idea.

Like the $240 thingie in 2x4 and a big carriage bolt for maybe $5-$6?

Horizontal piece for can to sit on.

2 vertical pieces about 2" taller than can.

Piece hinged on carriage bolt between vertical pieces. Get the hinge point
right and this piece presses on the can's lid evenly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message
I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.

http://www.thecarycompany.com/contai...cancloser.html

$240? You've got to be kidding me.

I was thinking about getting a cheap harbor freight/ebay vise with
enough travel for a quart can and mounting it vertically, but maybe
someone has a better idea.

Well - no real grief Leuf, but it does strike me that you are making a huge
deal out of a small thing. It's really not that hard to seal up a paint can
lid. Clean the groove with some paper towels or old rags - takes all of 20
seconds, and press the lid on by hand. It does not even require a mallet.
Drill a couple of holes, or punch a couple of holes in the groove when you
first open the can and most of the paint will drain from the groove back
into the can before you're even ready to put the lid back on.

I open an close a lot of paint cans on a regular basis, and I never use a
hammer or a mallet to close the lids back down after I'm done.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:
| I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.

FCOL - just step on it! If you're fastidious, you can do this wearing
shoes; and if you really hunger for a tool, then set a 2x6 cut-off on
the can and step on that. If it's a "cool tool" that you want, make
that an ipe 2x6 cut-off with a hole at one end so you can hang it on
the wall. OSHA-phobes can add a strip of non-slip stair tread
material; and technophiles can add one or more lasers.

HTH ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:37:27 -0600, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Leuf wrote:
| I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.

FCOL - just step on it! If you're fastidious, you can do this wearing
shoes; and if you really hunger for a tool, then set a 2x6 cut-off on
the can and step on that. If it's a "cool tool" that you want, make
that an ipe 2x6 cut-off with a hole at one end so you can hang it on
the wall. OSHA-phobes can add a strip of non-slip stair tread
material; and technophiles can add one or more lasers.

Ipe shmeepay, use lignum vitae. For the technoholics it used to be
used as an insulator in the high voltage circuits on large (I mean
like antennas the size of a football field) radars on the DEWline, not
to mention its continuing use in the shaft bearings on aircraft
carriers, and its historical use for rigging blocks on Napoleonic-era
warships.

And if you polish it up and give it a good coat of was you'll be able
to peel the spilled paint off of it.

Just be careful you don't smash the can flat when you're laying it on
top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leuf" wrote in message
[...]

Plastic sheet and a strong rubber band should close the top off just as good
as the lid. Or I could loan you my hydraulic press but you may hurt your
back carrying it to your house.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
| Leuf wrote:
|| I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.
|
| FCOL - just step on it! If you're fastidious, you can do this
| wearing shoes; and if you really hunger for a tool, then set a 2x6
| cut-off on the can and step on that. If it's a "cool tool" that you
| want, make that an ipe 2x6 cut-off with a hole at one end so you
| can hang it on the wall. OSHA-phobes can add a strip of non-slip
| stair tread material; and technophiles can add one or more lasers.

Afterthought (because there is a growing number of people who, sadly,
won't be able to step on a paint can lid): a riser and tread can be
added to each end of the cutoff so that rolling a wheelchair or other
mobility device onto the tread can extert the force necessary to close
and seal the can.

Another: A bench press capable of exerting a ton or more of pressure
is available from most machine tool suppliers - for a third to half
the price of Cary's paint can closer. Unfortunately, I couldn't find
any with factory-installed lasers.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 08:36:52 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Well - no real grief Leuf, but it does strike me that you are making a huge
deal out of a small thing. It's really not that hard to seal up a paint can
lid. Clean the groove with some paper towels or old rags - takes all of 20
seconds

Well here I have to say that I have spent many an amusing moment
trying to get a paper towel wadded up just right to fit in the little
groove and still have enough in there to actually soak anything up,
and then chased the liquid around in circles around the can. I've had
some success with using the brush to soak it up, and a foam brush
works even better but I don't usually use those.

Drill a couple of holes, or punch a couple of holes in the groove when you
first open the can and most of the paint will drain from the groove back
into the can before you're even ready to put the lid back on.

I have tried this, with varying sizes of nails to make the holes and
either nothing drains at all due to surface tension, or just enough
goes through to make a big dam on the underside so that nothing at all
goes through the second time. I've done the aforementioned chase the
liquid around with the wad of paper towel toward the holes, and it
just goes right over it. I thought this was a great idea the first
time I heard it, but in practice it's never worked for me. I always
try to pour off into a smaller container and reclose the can ASAP with
finishes, so there isn't really time for it to drain anyway.

I open an close a lot of paint cans on a regular basis, and I never use a
hammer or a mallet to close the lids back down after I'm done.

I can get them almost closed with hand pressure, if it's clean, but
never just that last little bit.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leuf wrote:
| I know I'm going to get grief for this one. Knock yourselves out.

FCOL - just step on it! If you're fastidious, you can do this wearing
shoes; and if you really hunger for a tool, then set a 2x6 cut-off on
the can and step on that.

You know I've actually done that once or twice, and it sure works with
drywall buckets too. The hard part is remembering this at 1 am after
the fumes have gotten to me.

-Leuf

Paint finish No 10 Davao UK diy 20 July 17th 06 12:01 PM
Perfect Gloss Paint Finish Andrew Barnes UK diy 3 November 11th 05 08:58 PM
emulsion paint (matt) finish JohnBoy UK diy 3 January 19th 05 10:58 AM
What do I paint on new Plasterboard for a durable finish? Don McLean UK diy 8 January 11th 05 08:52 AM
Tile over satin finish paint Keith Boeheim Home Repair 1 December 24th 04 04:03 PM