Grant P. Beagles

Default Lathe Parts

I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

DJ Delorie

"Grant P. Beagles" writes:
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

You really want to post this on rec.crafts.woodturning
Doug Miller

In article L, "Grant P. Beagles" wrote:
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Have you posted this request in rec.crafts.woodturning too? Probably a better
chance of finding an answer there (although a lot of people read both groups).

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Google. You shouldn't have any trouble finding that.

--
Regards,

Wilson Lamb

Well, google is always the place to start, but one never knows who is
lurking. Look at http://www.catfish-hollow.com/sher-chucks.html and contact
them. Another is http://www.homeshopsupply.com/ . That should get you
started.
Wilson
"Grant P. Beagles" wrote in
message RCIAL...
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

nsum

I think I have some NEW-IN-THE-BOX #1 MT centers. Got 'em on eBay and have
never used them. I mis-read or missed the #1 MT when I bid on them. I use
#2s.

If interested let me know and I'll give you a full description. You can have
them for what I paid. I think there are 5 or 6 pieces in my shop.

Nsum.

"Grant P. Beagles" wrote in
message RCIAL...
I recently acquired an old Craftsman lathe. Its the same as the one my
dad had in high school, so it is late 30s to early 40s vintage. Its the
dark blue with the cast iron bed. I am looking for the cast cover that
goes over the pulleys. The lathe is complete with everything else. I
could not find a part number anywhere. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

While I'm on the subject, I believe that the centers are a #1 morse
taper. I could also use a live center for it. Someday I may want a
face place to do bowls too!

Grant

J Pagona aka Y.B.

I started off with a lathe like that one.
After I upgraded, I turned it into a foot powered (with a bungy cord as a mock
spring pole) lathe. I ended up giving it to a friend because I was running out
of room.

You can find accessories at Sears. I bought a #1 morse taper live center
there. They also had 4 jaw non scrolling chucks. That means that the jaws
move independantly. They may have had face plates, but I don't remember.

Woodcraft also sells #1 MT accessories.

I don't know if you are going to be able to find a pulley cover. If not, I
would advise making one for safety. You could make a wooden box that attaches
to the lathe bench.

Have fun.

David

remove the key to email me.