Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody ever use those interlocking floor tiles?

Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...emid=69#men u

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

A friend of mine recently told me that Target (or maybe it was Walmart)
carries these. You could inspect them up close. Or even buy a
pack...probably comes in 2 or 4.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Those look good. FWW did a review of workshop flooring back in Issue
#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press
would leave permanent indentations in it.....

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:
Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...page&n=72&Item...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just went to their quote page. For my roughly 24x28 garage, it comes to
$3800. Holy Moly! I've got better ways to spend $3800.

#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...page&n=72&Item...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

I know. I was looking at the recycled ones and they were less. Either
way I was under $2000. That isn't cheap but this is a new house I'm
building and somehow putting it into the overall cost seems to justify
it. I just always wanted a shop floor that was really clean looking.
The link I gave is just an example. There are others out there that
are less expensive. I don't know what more money gets you. Right now
I just wanted to see if it was even doable with the casters used on
tools.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just for reference:
Tuff-Seal $4.95 SqFt http://www.tuffsealtile.com
Tuff-Seal recycles $3.95 SqFt
Lock-Tile $3.20 SqFt www.locktile-usa.com
DriCore (price not found, sold at Home Depot) www.dricore.com, this is
a sub-floor, good insulation
Century $4.39 SqFt www.flooingadventures.com
Resilia $3.45 www.floorsurfaces.com
BLT $1.10 SqFt www.BLTLLC.com (this is a roll, not tiles)

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:
Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...page&n=72&Item...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 23/01/2007 10:14 AM, Never Enough Money wrote:

DriCore (price not found, sold at Home Depot) www.dricore.com

There's also a product that is essentially the underlying poly "cleats"
part of DriCore, over which you can do your own subfloor of whatever
material you choose. Comes in a roll, needs taping at the seams (easy to
do). Sorry, can't remember the name off the top of my head; daughter and
SIL used it. They got it at either HD or Rona (Canada). I'm sure you'd
find it at any large building supply place.
Posted to rec.woodworking

These are much cheaper and much better.... One or two per
machine.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=190312

It will greatly reduce fatigue. They can moved out of the way
and can be washed. They also snap together to make larger
arrangements.

#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

[...]

How about just putting the tiles down where you walk, leave the tools on the
concrete floor.

#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...page&n=72&Item...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

I know. I was looking at the recycled ones and they were less. Either
way I was under $2000. That isn't cheap but this is a new house I'm
building and somehow putting it into the overall cost seems to justify
it. I just always wanted a shop floor that was really clean looking.
The link I gave is just an example. There are others out there that
are less expensive. I don't know what more money gets you. Right now
I just wanted to see if it was even doable with the casters used on
tools.

Costco offer a similar product that seems to work out at
around $2.50/sq ft.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.
aspx?Prodid=11038308&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

If interested you might want to try waiting a while -- I'm
pretty certain they have mailed out discount coupons on
this item, 3 or 4 times over the past couple of years.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just went to their quote page. For my roughly 24x28 garage, it comes to
$3800. Holy Moly! I've got better ways to spend $3800.

Yeah, like a real wood floor. '~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:
Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...page&n=72&Item...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

In my area of northern California, DriCore is about $7.00 for a 2'x2'
square, or $ 1.75/sf. There is a minimum order of 120 pieces.

Tin Woodsmn

#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill press

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

[...]

I want the tools to be able to be wheeled around.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just went to their quote page. For my roughly 24x28 garage, it comes to
$3800. Holy Moly! I've got better ways to spend $3800.

Wow, $5.65/sf for the garage! I could get some really nice bamboo (appr.
$2/ft) or hardwood flooring for less.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in
VCT usually runs less than a dollar per SF and will stand up to a lot of
abuse. Heavy impacts will chip it though.

I recently refloored part of my shop (the non-dusty, hand-tool only area)
on the cheap, but it came out pretty good. I laid down sheets of 3/4 MDF
over foam pad over concrete. Ship-lapped, glued edges for a monolithic
slab, then epoxy sealed the whole thing. I was worried about the MDF and
moisture but it doesn't seem to be an issue. The floor feels much nicer
than concrete after a long day, especially if it's cold. Probably ran me
less than $.75 per sf.

-G

oups.com:

Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...ge&n=72&Itemid

#174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my drill
press

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

[...]

So if they need to cross an area with tiles, lift the tiles out of the way.
How often do you need to wheel your tools around?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Those look good. FWW did a review of workshop flooring back in
Issue #174 (IIRC). They did not include Tuff-Seal. I wonder if my
drill press would leave permanent indentations in it.....

On Jan 23, 4:13 am, "jtpr" wrote:

Like these?

http://www.tuffsealtile.com/index.ph...icpage&n=72&It
em...

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a
cement floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and
thought they were cool. But would I be able to roll around my
tools on them?

-Jim

I know. I was looking at the recycled ones and they were less.
Either way I was under $2000. That isn't cheap but this is a new
house I'm building and somehow putting it into the overall cost seems
to justify it. I just always wanted a shop floor that was really
clean looking. The link I gave is just an example. There are others
out there that are less expensive. I don't know what more money gets
you. Right now I just wanted to see if it was even doable with the
casters used on tools.

-Jim

Contact Tuffseal and ask Them.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not try vct floor tile like in grocery stores and hospitals? I install
this for a living so I know it will hold up in shop use. We have put it in
factories in the QC rooms and offices. It is also a lot cheaper than those
interlocking tiles which I think your tools would leave impressions in. I
have it in my basement in a black and white checkerboard pattern. Once that
suff is down its pretty hard to destroy. They come in boxes of 45 square
feet for around 30 bucks. All my buddies have it in their garages also. They
make this stuff in at least 50 colors so their should be something you would
like. Here is a few links of the differnt colors

http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...8&category=vct

http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...icle32178.html

http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...1&category=vct

I'm going to be building my workshop in a 20x20 garage with a cement
floor. I saw these in a home show the other night and thought they
were cool. But would I be able to roll around my tools on them?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

If that's the same stuff used in hospitals,etc,etc that is
awfully tough stuff.

What about slipping and sliding ??? (I assume no waxing)

buick 58 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

It does need to be waxed. I wouldnt think it would be to slippery unless
your workshop has 5 inches of sawdust everywhere. I guess I am also just
throwing this out as a option since its way cheaper than those tile.

buick 58 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have actually thought about this stuff. It's been around
a VERY long time and is tougher than a mother-in-laws heart.

Do the current stuff come in maybe a non-slip surface for
industrial setting ???

I think it would make a hell of a pretty floor over concrete.

buick 58 wrote:

It does need to be waxed. I wouldnt think it would be to slippery unless
your workshop has 5 inches of sawdust everywhere. I guess I am also just
throwing this out as a option since its way cheaper than those tile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote

I have actually thought about this stuff. It's been around
a VERY long time and is tougher than a mother-in-laws heart.

Do the current stuff come in maybe a non-slip surface for
industrial setting ???

I think it would make a hell of a pretty floor over concrete.

Products like this is common for gym floors. One big problem with them is
if you get a big leak of some kind and get an accumulation of water/moisture
under the rubber. This can turn into a mold factory which not only puts some
permanant mold spores in the air, but can smell as well.