Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Book Buying On eBay

I regularly buy books of various sorts. I get a few off of eBay,
out of print books I can't find anywhere else. Mostly I just cruise
eBay to get titles of books I'd be interested in buying, then check my
list of on-line sellers to see if I can find what I want.

Recently I found two books on eBay I was really interested in. I
was tempted to bit on them, until I saw who the seller was. I've dealt
with this seller before, with unhappy results. Long story.

Anyway, the first book was one I was very interested in, so started
looking thru the on-line sellers. Finally found the book. Took awhile,
because the eBay seller did not use the actual title of the book. I
bought the book on-line, new, and paid about $15 less than the guy's
starting bid, and the price I paid included postage. The guy was asking
a substantial amount for postage over what media mail would cost. The
kicker is, apparently the guy is drop-shipping.

The other book I wanted was offerred by the same seller, same
tactics. Title he was using is totally not like the actual title. Took
me awhile to run down that one. I ordered a copy of that one for about
half what the guy's opening bid wa for, and my price was including
postage. Little weasel apparently drop-shipping - again.

I think that particular seller, and probably more, are just
drop-shipping. That's irritating as Hell. But, I did get put onto two
books I wouldn't have kown about otherwise. I wound up paying close to
$40 total, including postage, for these two books. Which is about half
the price the weasel was wantingfor opening bids, not including
shipping.

Both books are on marine steam. Haven't got the second one yet,
but the first one does also cover several really neat wooden models too.
There's the wood connection.

I also got a book on wooden boa building the other day - used, for
around $7-8, including postage. Just gotta shop around. I love books,
you can flip back a few pages and take another look at a paragraph, or a
picture, maybe stick a bookmark in place. Don't have to have electric
to read it either, just a decent light source. Try that with a 'puter
during a power outage.

eBay is fine for a lot of things, but you've got to watch what
you're buying, and got to watch what they're charging for shipping.

You've got to check the current selling prices of book too (or
whatever) before y9u bid on eBay. Recently I just lost out on a two
volume set of books on steam. If I'd have bid a few $ more I'd have
gotten them for about $50 for the two, not including shipping. I
checked a bit too late and found out the lowest price for the two with
the on-line sellers was about $80 for the pair - and up. Ah well. But
quite awhile back I got a book on-line about woodworking jigs for about
$5 - including shipping.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote: There's the wood connection.

I also got a book on wooden boa building the other day - used, for
around $7-8, including postage.

And I thought they were made of feathers. Little did I know.
Yeah, I know what you meant, just couldn't resist.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An unemployed court jester is no one's
fool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

The kicker is, apparently the guy is drop-shipping.

Pardon my ignorance but what is drop-shipping?

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop-shipping

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
I regularly buy books of various sorts. I get a few off of eBay,
out of print books I can't find anywhere else.

Ever check half.com?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Check the following likns out when looking for books. They both search
several sellers and give a list of prices.

http://www.aaabooksearch.com
http://www.addall.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Jan 23, 2007, 6:18pm (EST+5) (Andrew*Hartung)
doth sayeth:
Check the following likns out when looking for books. They both search
several sellers and give a list of prices.

Thanks anyway, but as of today I've got 31 on-line seller links
saved, and most of them do the same - but 99% of the time I only use the
same link.
http://www.allbookstores.com/

On an extend search I sometimes use every link. But that's usually
just for something out-of-print, often with a low printing. Most of the
time my usual link does it. Or, occassionally, eBay is the only place
to get what I'm after - but that's a last resort, the total cost usually
works out higher on eBay.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

JT...I also buy a lot of books on all types of things. Sounds like you do
many things. I have bought a lot from Lindsay Publications. A lot of out
publication reprints. Low prices and cheap shipping. I have purchased on
Metal working, electronics, technical, They only have one book on
woodworking , it is for making woodworking tools. You can check at
www.lindsaybks.com They have an interesting catalog they send out. Warren

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also http://www.abebooks.com

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Jan 23, 2007, 3:56pm (EST-3)
(Larry*Blanchard) did posted:
Also
http://www.abebooks.com

They've been on my saved list a lonnng time.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Forgot to say this before. At times an extended search pays off.
I wanted an out-of-print book, that I think had a limited printing to
begin with. Problem was, it was priced high, mostly in about the $150
range going up to $375,. But, a lot of searching, over a week or so,
and I got a copy for about $35, not including postage. You just gotta
keep looking, sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes not.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Drop shipping is where a supplier will sell you an item at wholesale when
you have a customer for it and ship it to your customer for a set fee
(handling charge) per shipment + shipping. The latest thing in Web
business, no inventory needed, no warehouse space, just a computer and a web
site.
"efgh" wrote in message
The kicker is, apparently the guy is drop-shipping.

Pardon my ignorance but what is drop-shipping?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sweet sawdust" wrote:

Drop shipping is where a supplier will sell you an item at wholesale
when you have a customer for it and ship it to your customer for a set
fee (handling charge) per shipment + shipping. The latest thing in
Web business, no inventory needed, no warehouse space, just a computer
and a web site.

And has been in use for decades sans computer, if not longer. I'm thinking
around the time of the first mail order catalog in the US - 1744.

"efgh" wrote in message
The kicker is, apparently the guy is drop-shipping.

Pardon my ignorance but what is drop-shipping?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

On Jan 26, 12:23 am, (J T) wrote:

Yeah, and no ethics needed either.

I agree that scrambling the title of the book is unethical. But if the
guy wants to pad his shipping and charge twice what the book goes for
at alibris.. then more power to him if he can get away with it. Some
people are willing to pay for the convience of just logging on to ebay
and grabbing it, rather than spending a couple weeks hunting it down.
I'm not one of those people either, but some are.

That weasal probably has a lot of auctions that aren't bid on if they
are overpriced. Since he has to pay a listing fee to sell on ebay, it's
ultimately hurting him if he prices his stuff too high.