Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Questions about that new Craftsman machine seen on TV...

Hello all,

I hope, I'm not off topic, but has anyone seen that machine (not sure
what to call it) that craftsman has been advertising on television that
will carve designs for you from a computer? If so, does anyone have
any experience with one and would you be able to tell me if you can
make your own designs for it and what kind of image format it uses?
How long do the bits last? What are its drawbacks versus its advantages
and that sort of thing? I'm asking because I'm still a
beginner/novice. So, I wanted to get some opinions, before I spent the
money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mrmjr wrote:
Hello all,

I hope, I'm not off topic, but has anyone seen that machine (not sure
what to call it) that craftsman has been advertising on television that
will carve designs for you from a computer? If so, does anyone have
any experience with one and would you be able to tell me if you can
make your own designs for it and what kind of image format it uses?
How long do the bits last? What are its drawbacks versus its advantages
and that sort of thing? I'm asking because I'm still a
beginner/novice. So, I wanted to get some opinions, before I spent the
money.

I haven't used the machine but the Sears "CompuCarve" is actually the
"CarveWright Woodworking System". Many of your questions are answered
at the following web site:

http://www.carvewright.com

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you very much, Nova. I believe you have saved me a lot of
hassle. Now I should be able to approach this with a little sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mrmjr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you very much, Nova. I believe you have saved me a lot of
hassle. Now I should be able to approach this with a little sense.

I have seen the machine drop $300 since being available to order. They may
tell you something right there. It's now advertised for $1699.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
. net:

"mrmjr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you very much, Nova. I believe you have saved me a lot of
hassle. Now I should be able to approach this with a little sense.

I have seen the machine drop $300 since being available to order.
They may tell you something right there. It's now advertised for
$1699.

That may just be Sears being Sears. If you're going to show something as a
$1999 value, at least it has to be offered somewhere at that price, for
some perceived period of time.

The machine, while interesting, offers me nothing of value. But that's
just me.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...

That may just be Sears being Sears. If you're going to show something as
$1999 value, at least it has to be offered somewhere at that price, for
some perceived period of time.

My first sales catalog had it for $1999 .

Posted to rec.woodworking

I ran into a friend of mine last evening that got one as a belated
Christmas present. He lives in the next county over and he said that
it was a pretty good machine...when it worked. He didn't have time to
elaborate really, but did indicate he had some problems with it. Only
I don't know if that is because he like me is a novice at woodworking
or if its because he's not quite what you would consider computer
literate. Hmmm... I suppose this with the drop in price could indicate
a real problem. I think I will wait before I buy one now. Thanks
everyone.