Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Molding - In one pass???

I've just started playing with the new Powermatic planner molder that I
bought and was wondering if someone could help? Last night when I was doing
some relief cuts I need to do a lot of adjustments to the infeed and outfeed
rollers in order to get them to take the pine wood. Is this normal? Now I'm
tooling up to run some 3 1/2" molding with a profiled blade that will cut
3/4" at it's deepest part. Should the molding be cut in a single pass or
should I adjust the rollers down and slowly work the profile???

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J.M." wrote in message
I've just started playing with the new Powermatic planner molder that I
bought and was wondering if someone could help? Last night when I was
doing some relief cuts I need to do a lot of adjustments to the infeed and
outfeed rollers in order to get them to take the pine wood. Is this
normal? Now I'm tooling up to run some 3 1/2" molding with a profiled
blade that will cut 3/4" at it's deepest part. Should the molding be cut
in a single pass or should I adjust the rollers down and slowly work the
profile???

I attempted the same thing on my Jet molder - when the wood ejected the
molder and slammed into my basement wall about 3" from my new glass doors, I
decided multiple passes is a much better approach.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J.M. wrote:
I've just started playing with the new Powermatic planner molder that I
bought and was wondering if someone could help? Last night when I was doing
some relief cuts I need to do a lot of adjustments to the infeed and outfeed
rollers in order to get them to take the pine wood. Is this normal? Now I'm
tooling up to run some 3 1/2" molding with a profiled blade that will cut
3/4" at it's deepest part. Should the molding be cut in a single pass or
should I adjust the rollers down and slowly work the profile???

Personally, I have always found it better to ease up to a final profile
whether planing, routing, or making dadoes. I have some bonzai mofo
friends that love the sound of their machines straining... it makes
them feel like they are working hard.

But smaller passes with your cutters means less wear on the machines,
less wear on the cutters, and it gives a better surface on the final
product if you make a final finishing cut.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

When I first started using my machine I had the same questiona nd couldn't
fidn the answer so being impatient I ran some rough pine through the molder
with a single pass. All of that molding came out great and was ready to be
stained. I'll probabl go to multiple passes if I go to a harder wood. With a
5HP motor I can't say I noticed the machine even working at making the
molding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For those of you doing multipasses are you setting your feed rollers lower
for each pass? Doesn't this make for a lot of adjustment time?

Would you pass by The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 10 May 18th 06 10:04 PM
By pass system Steve Miller About this forum 0 November 16th 05 08:30 PM
by pass winker UK diy 0 August 8th 05 09:23 PM
can't pass up usefull trash wallster Metalworking 152 August 7th 04 03:47 AM
Too funny not to pass on... Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 3 July 30th 04 03:38 PM