Posted to rec.woodworking

Default urgent ..pls help -construction question

urgent ..pls help -construction question

Background
*****************
My friend is buying a home in the SF Bay Area, California.
It is a stucco house, I believe. The chimney is brick.

The home has a nice view at the back.
The family room is on the first floor and the bedroom upstairs face
the back.
The bedroom sits on the family room which is below.
The family room is larger than the bedroom on top. It has a pointed
roof which ruins the view from this bedroom.

1. However the family room has a big fireplace that faces the back -
this ruins the view from that room.
Can the the fireplace and chimney be removed ?
so a French door can be inserted in that space and the view can be
enjoyed ?

2. Upstairs in the master bedroom ..the view is ruined because of
very tiny windows and also
- the chimney
- the pointed tile roof
Can the chimney ( because of the fireplace in the family room below)
be removed
and the roof flattened so a varandah can be built ?

So there are 2 issues
1. can we remove the chimney completely
2. can we flatten the tile roof on top of family room and build
varendah on it ?

Is this possible ?
and what would be the costs ?
any complications ?
any issues that I should be aware of ?

I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the home...but if you
can pls give us your input it would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks

Linda

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
| urgent ..pls help -construction question
|
| Background
| *****************
| My friend is buying a home in the SF Bay Area, California.
| It is a stucco house, I believe. The chimney is brick.

snipperoni

| So there are 2 issues
| 1. can we remove the chimney completely

If it's not needed, then there wouldn't seem to be any reason keep it.

| 2. can we flatten the tile roof on top of family room and build
| varendah on it ?

Yup - but this should be discussed in detail with an architect or
structural engineer before you touch the first tile. I'm pretty sure
that it'll need to meet earthquake criteria no matter where you are in
the bay area.

| Is this possible ?

Of course.

| and what would be the costs ?

Probably astromical.

| any complications ?

I would think that "earthquake-proof" will be all the complication
you'd want.

| any issues that I should be aware of ?

Building codes - both state and local.

| I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the home...but if
| you can pls give us your input it would be very highly appreciated.

You're invited to take the above with a grain of salt - all except the
part about getting expert help - since I live a thousand miles away,
haven't ever seen the house/site, and have almost no knowledge of your
city, county, or state building codes or law.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
| urgent ..pls help -construction question
|
| and what would be the costs ?

Probably astromical.

Maybe This Old House could help....they've been there before!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

So there are 2 issues
1. can we remove the chimney completely

Maybe - but that sure is going to make for some smokey romantic evenings.

2. can we flatten the tile roof on top of family room and build
varendah on it ?

Maybe - but you're going to want to cut a hole in it probably - to let that
smoke out on those romantic evenings.

Is this possible ?
and what would be the costs ?
any complications ?
any issues that I should be aware of ?

I know it is difficult to comment without seeing the home...but if you
can pls give us your input it would be very highly appreciated.

Well Linda, it's more than difficult. It's impossible. One has to look at
work like this to examine structural implications. Most of what you've
described can be done, no matter what the current structural issues are -
given enough money. What you really need is an architect who will look at
the existing structure and provide plans for the changes you desire. There
are a ton of local code issues to be aware of as well.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

In addition to the issues raised by the other respondents--

Where you remove the chimney, it will be difficult to patch the stucco to
match the existing. You may have to paint the entire back--using masonry
paint if you are wise.

Usually a working fireplace adds to the value of a house. Your friend my
take a hit in the house value when they remove the fireplace.

If they put a flat, outdoor verandah over an interior space, it must be
constructed very, very well to prevent water leaks into the interior space.
If it does start leaking, it is very, very expensive to repair. (Think of
tearing up most of the verandah and replacing it.)

The alterations may change the appearance of the house sufficiently to lower
its value.

For all of those and the other reasons, they need a building professional
whom they can trust to give them some advice. They should be prepared to
pay, whether or not they do the project, after all what professionals have
to sell is their time. And we all know what free advice is worth.....

And have a fat checkbook.

Old Guy

ups.com...