Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish before or after installing hinges

I am just finishing up a small pine step stool that has a little
storage compartment. I am going to use two brass butt hinges for the
lid. Would you apply the finish before attaching the hinges or after?
I am planning to use Waterlox Sealer/Finish.

Also, would you apply finish to the interior? If not, where do you
stop? The lid has a small overhang, so would you finish the underside
of the lid?

Thanks,
Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris" wrote in message

I am just finishing up a small pine step stool that has a little
storage compartment. I am going to use two brass butt hinges for the
lid. Would you apply the finish before attaching the hinges or after?
I am planning to use Waterlox Sealer/Finish.

Almost as a rule the general procedure is: cut your hinge mortises, install
the hardware for fit, once satisfied remove it and apply the finish,
re-install the hardware.

Be carefull with brass screws ... drill suitable pilot holes and use a screw
lube/parrafin wax.

A couple of brass screws, broken off at the head in you project, will make
you quickly appreciate the above hardware installation/finishing procedure.

Also, would you apply finish to the interior? If not, where do you
stop? The lid has a small overhang, so would you finish the underside
of the lid?

Normally, yes ... it is recommended that you apply finish to the interior,
and the bottom of the lid.

What are you going to store in it? If the smell of the exterior finish would
be detrimental to whatever you plan on storing in the compartment, shellac
is the recommended solution on the storage surfaces.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Almost as a rule the general procedure is: cut your hinge mortises, install
the hardware for fit, once satisfied remove it and apply the finish,
re-install the hardware.

That's my process.

Be carefull with brass screws ... drill suitable pilot holes and use a screw
lube/parrafin wax.

I've found that using steel screws during the fit-up works well. The
brass screws are only installed at final assembly time.