Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collection Questions

As if the $799 uni and the $223 incra fence wern't enough, I decided to
get the dust collector. The one on sale is 4800cfm and 5hp compared to
my current 1100cfm and 2hp. So four times the suck, if you can
quantify such a thing.

The new one has a 10" inlet port with a manifold (is that what it's
called? reducer?) that brings it down to four 5" ports. So I have
several options:

1 - I could run 10" ducts to all the machines, get 10" blast gates and
covert all the DC hookups to 10" (haha)

2 - I could use the 5" reducer thingy and keep three of them plugged.
Then run the fourth with 5" blast gates to each machine. I would then
need to either reduce the 5" hoses further with an adapter or make/buy
adapters on the machines that work with 5" hoses.

3 - Immediately reduce the 5" ports to 4" and run 4" hoses with 4"
blast gates everywhere. This is the cheapest since I have a lot of 4"
flex hose and 4" s&d pipe.

4 - Run 5" or 4" with a reducer to each machine and quit worrying about
blast gates.

5 - Find a 10" to 6" reducer and run 6" pipe/hose to all the machines
with 6" blast gates. This seems like the option that makes the most
sense to me.

More points: I'm unlikely to ever run more than one machine at a time.
But in the future, say over the next five years, my older kids could
easily start woodworking, so the extra capacity could be nice. Also,
the DC runs are likely to be short since I'm going for the centralized
DC shop layout with machines orbiting rather than running DC pipe along
the walls to a DC in the corner.

And lastly, what do I do with my old DC machine? I'll probably sell it
and use the money to buy 6" (or whatever) hose, clamps, and blast
gates. Any reason to have two?

Here's my old one:

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-50-850-H.../dp/B0000223BE

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Jan 2007 15:46:07 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

And lastly, what do I do with my old DC machine? I'll probably sell it
and use the money to buy 6" (or whatever) hose, clamps, and blast
gates. Any reason to have two?

Are you in the Chicago area?

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

brianlanning wrote:
[...]

brian Well, if it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing. 4800cfm...droool... Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:

Well, if it's

worth doing, it's worth overdoing. 4800cfm...droool... Tom

I know. It's ridiculous. The one I'm replacing is 1100cfm. I had
been planning to eventually get a cyclone with around 2000cfm, but this
one was such a great deal, I had to jump on it. I'm trying to figure
out how to get a cyclone hooked up to this. My trashcan separator
isn't enough.

The next tool on the list was actually a drum sander before the latest
amazon silliness. I was thinking about the grizzly g0449, but the 4
dust ports on the top made me worry about dust collection. The manual
says 1600cfm at the sander is minimum and 2000 is recommended. I guess
that's not a problem now. :-)

I'll probably just end up with a performax 22/44 and spend the extra
money on a spindle sander and edge sander. the big sander is calling
my name though. :-)

If I get the $250 I'm asking for my old DC with all the 4" accessories,
I'll be out $420 for this monster.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

brianlanning wrote:
snip If I get the $250 I'm asking for my old DC with all the 4"
accessories,
I'll be out $420 for this monster.

brian Plus the cost of new ductwork, of course. Having the DC in a central spot might be helpful in the suction department, but I wonder: It seems that with something this big, you could stash it a couple of city blocks away, run large diameter ducting and still clean up! I'm kind of doing the same thing with a shop-built air cleaner. Ever see that video of the airman getting sucked into that fighter jets' turbofan? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
brianlanning wrote:
Plus the cost of new ductwork, of course.

You're right. It looks like I'll be running 6" ductwork to the
machines. the 6" s&d is the easy part. I need a source for reasonably
priced blast gates and flex tube. Someone on sawmill creek pointed out
that with all the blast gates shut, I may not have enough velocity in
the hose to keep the dust suspended. I guess I'll have to experiment a
bit.

Having the DC in a central spot might be helpful in the suction
department,

This was originally part of my reasoning for going that route. I was
planning to make a post, maybe 1' or 2' square that runs floor to
ceiling and park the DC and compressor next to that, then put all the
machines around it. That would give me an easy place to attach the
subpanel and 220 outlets. It could also serve as a DC distrubution
area with 6 or 8 blast gates mounted right there coming through the
post with one hookup at the bottom for the DC. I could then get one of
those GUV shopvacs and attach it to the outside of the post, or better
yet, inside. Then when it's time to move, just take the post.

I'll have to give it more thought now.

but I wonder: It seems that with something this big, you could stash it a couple of city blocks away,
run large diameter ducting and still clean up! I'm kind of doing the same thing with a shop-built air cleaner.

It shouldn't matter where I put it now. I could put it in the
basement, but there's no way to get the ductwork into the garage. If I
were going to be here permanently the DC and compressor would certainly
be down there.

Ever
see that video of the airman getting sucked into that fighter jets' turbofan? Tom

lol, yeah, I saw it. I can't believe the guy lived. I'm still
squeemish from the miter saw stand incident. The last thing I need is
to get sucked into an impeller now. :-)

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

brianlanning wrote:
snip- Someone on sawmill creek pointed out
that with all the blast gates shut, I may not have enough velocity in
the hose to keep the dust suspended.-snip

I'm pretty dense, but I don't understand
why someone would make that statement. When you close all the blast
gates, of course the velocity will drop, but then you're not using the
DC either, so no dust to suspend. Hey, with all the gates shut, this
DC would probably crush most metal ducting. Any idea how many inches of
mercury this thing'll pull? Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

You did not say which unit you ended up with but
you could use this cyclone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separato...QQcmdZViewItem

brianlanning wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
You did not say which unit you ended up with but
you could use this cyclone:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cyclone-Separato...QQcmdZViewItem

It's a delta 50-765. I'm shopping for something exactly like that one.
I'd prefer a model with some flex hose at the bottom so the lid can
come off the trashcan without having to lift the entire thing. I guess
I could put it in there myself.

I found this:

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/

The kids would love this too because you can see the swirling dust
inside the cyclone. Their prices seem a bit high. Maybe they can make
me a deal.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
As if the $799 uni and the $223 incra fence wern't enough, I decided to
get the dust collector. The one on sale is 4800cfm and 5hp compared to
my current 1100cfm and 2hp. So four times the suck, if you can
quantify such a thing.

I thought about buying the DC, but decided I really wanted a cyclone.
But I checked with Wynn, and they say their filter kit fits perfectly.