Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need advice on polyurethane on red oak baseboard

I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a
polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of
polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Sandy

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a
polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of
polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Sandy

If you want to avoid yellowing, use a water based. The oil will yellow. The
oak will darken over time anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a
polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of
polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?

If you want to avoid yellowing, use a water based. The oil will yellow.
The oak will darken over time anyway.

Yep, and our eyes still see amber colors as warm and friendly. Makes
absolutely clear, or with some water-borne types, cold bluish stuff look
weird.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This type of cut is quite common in industry. they sell special machines to
do it. I would look into buyig on of the machines made for this before I
tried any jury rigged operation. Woodsmith has a planner set up to do this
type of cut and I believe Grizzly also has a set up for this. The cost of
either machine is much lower then then the cost of a hospital visit to the
emergency room, even if you have good insurance.
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a
polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of
polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Sandy

Posted to rec.woodworking

For a reason now forgotten, I was showing a neighbor a couple pieces I
had made a while back. Both oak, one finshed w/water base, one w/oil.
The oil actually looked better as oak has that natural amber hue and
the oil poly warmed it. And, as stated, oak will darken a bit as it
ages.

Renata

On Jan 12, 6:10 am, " wrote:
I have some red oak baseboard that I need to finish and want to apply a
polyurethane that will prevent yellowing. Are all brands of
polyurethane the same or are there any brands that I should avoid?
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Sandy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:43:19 -0600, sweet sawdust wrote:

This type of cut is quite common in industry. they sell special machines to
do it. I would look into buyig on of the machines made for this before I
tried any jury rigged operation. Woodsmith has a planner set up to do this
type of cut and I believe Grizzly also has a set up for this. The cost of
either machine is much lower then then the cost of a hospital visit to the
emergency room, even if you have good insurance.

Uh, how does a woodsmith "planner" prevent polyurethane from yellowing?
And how does it prevent a hospital visit as a result of applying
polyurethane?

oups.com...

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 07:43:19 -0600, sweet sawdust wrote:

This type of cut is quite common in industry. they sell special machines
do it. I would look into buyig on of the machines made for this before I
tried any jury rigged operation. Woodsmith has a planner set up to do
this
type of cut and I believe Grizzly also has a set up for this. The cost of
either machine is much lower then then the cost of a hospital visit to
the
emergency room, even if you have good insurance.

Uh, how does a woodsmith "planner" prevent polyurethane from yellowing?
And how does it prevent a hospital visit as a result of applying
polyurethane?

I bet his response was meant for the thread about the 2 10" blades cutting
multiple pieces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Uh, how does a woodsmith "planner" prevent polyurethane from yellowing?
And how does it prevent a hospital visit as a result of applying
polyurethane?

What! ... you haven't heard about the new, 2007, laser guided,
anti-yellowing, "planner"!!??

.... wanna bet he was replying to the thread about gang ripping with two
blades on a table saw and got the wrong thread?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07