Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Good air nail gun for crating

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus13959 wrote:

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

For crating you may be better off with a narrow crown stapler, Porter
Cable makes a nice one. Crating it's like framing with 2x material so a
framing nailer isn't very good and a finish nailer isn't appropriate
either. Many of the crated items I've dealt with are stapled.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 03:38:16 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

[...]

Pete, I agree with you. What gauge do you think is apropriate?

How about this one

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-M...dp/B00004SBBZ/

16 gauge air stapler by Porter Cable

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Don't **** around with little brad nailers for that work. If you want
the stuff to stay together, look at the staplers that are used to put
sheathing on houses these days.

Coupla shots with one of those, and stuff stays put.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

I think a medium crown stapler is what you're after. This tool is used
for fastening down roof decking on houses. I saw a Duo-Fast for $249 at
Home Depot this morning.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Ignoramus13959 wrote:

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

My favorite heavy crating gun is a Senco MK III.
It shoots 7/16" crown staples up to 2-1/2" long.
Great gun.

Here is one on ebay now,
Auction # 320069013337
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can
change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We
used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I
can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.

Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus13959 wrote:

[...]

The NS150A is the one I've used. It's less than half the price as well.
The 1/4" narrow crown staples are easy to find, not sure about those
7/16" medium crown ones. The shorter 1 1/2" max length shouldn't be an
issue for crating materials.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 12:51:03 GMT, Jim Behning wrote:
I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can
change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We
used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I
can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.

Jim, I think that my 18ga gun can shoot staples too. I will try them
today on my last crate (4th out of 4). What gauge is your gun?

Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

A stapler is definitely the way to go for crating or other uses where
appearance is not an issue. For about the same price as the 18 ga brad
gun HF has an 18 ga narrow crown stapler the shoots up to 1 5/8"
staples. If you need even more holding power, use a 1/2" crown 16 ga
stapler and the OSB will break before a staple pulls out.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Stapler is the only way to go. I have a Bostich 1" crown unit that I
prefer for crates although the 1/2" and 7/16" sheathing staplers will
work fine. 1/4" staples are too narrow, they will pull out. I usually do
5 sides witht he stapler, put the top on with 1-5/8" drywall screws for
both my convience and the recipant's.

Ignoramus13959 wrote:
I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Trevor, thanks for suggesting staples. Since my nailer is also a
stapler, I tried 1 1/8" 18 gauge staples, they work much better than
little finish brads, and I find this basically acceptable, though not
perfect. I think that I will stick to the tool that I have (18 ga
nailer/stapler), for now, and will use staples for crating.

Problem solved. Thanks to all for good food for thought and great
suggestions.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus13959 wrote:

[...]

Yep, I tried 1 1/8" staples, they work okay. Thanks Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Ignoramus21090 wrote:
Trevor, thanks for suggesting staples. Since my nailer is also a
stapler, I tried 1 1/8" 18 gauge staples, they work much better than
little finish brads, and I find this basically acceptable, though not
perfect. I think that I will stick to the tool that I have (18 ga
nailer/stapler), for now, and will use staples for crating.

Problem solved. Thanks to all for good food for thought and great
suggestions.

Not an expert but when you buy staples perhaps check to see if they're
coated, it makes a big difference in holding power. Also the type of
cut on the points is a variable on some as well; this controls how the
staple behaves as it passes through the wood (I always wondered why
you'd use anything besides straight driving staples though).

Also a general note:
Some guns need oil lubrication, others can be harmed by lubrication,
even if earlier models, by the same manufacturer, were not built that
way. Check your literature or check with the manufacturer and you may
avoid costly time-consuming repairs.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.woodworking

Answer: Stapler

1. Medium crown PC MS200R (2" max) - sheathing application 16-guage
2. Wide crown Hitachi N5024A (2" max) - roofing application 16 guage
3. Narrow crown PC NS150A (1.5" max) - cabinet backs and trim 18-guage

If you will do much crating, the medium crown is the best. Large home
centers will have the staples but not the stapler. I buy these staples
in boxes of 10,000.

The narrow crown will probably have more other uses besides crating,
but the staples are only 18 guage and stop at 1.5". Staples available
everywhere. You may have to shoot a few extra staples. They are more
likely to pull through in soft wood.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:29:53 -0600, Ignoramus13959
wrote:

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good air gun that would
be suitable for crating.

I bought a Harbor Freight 18 gauge air gun.

I had to make four crates this weekend (done with 3 so
far). Unfortunately, while it works as advertised, it is not a good
gun for crating. The 18 gauge nails are too thin and do not hold
things very well. So I had to shoot an insane amount of nails to hold
the crates.

I looked at something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-7140.../dp/B000ENJ0VI

and I am not sure if a finish nailer is the right route to take. Maybe
I should use different kinds of nails, as opposed to finish nails? Or
staples?

Any ideas? The kind of crating that I do is using 1/2" OSB and 2x3"
boards.

thank you

Most commercial craters I know, use a staple gun.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can
change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We
used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I
can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.

If no one takes it..perhaps a trade for something?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can
change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We
used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I
can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.

If no one takes it..perhaps a trade for something?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

I am feeling way to materialistic. I have too much stuff. Childs
nightmare cleaning up after dad. Except I have no kids. Well ok maybe I
will trade for a pair of used but servicable Dura-Ace 9 speed sti
shifters. I really need to get my garage sale web page up.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have Senco SKS 1/4" stapler for sale. Good used. I think you can
change it to shoot wider staples. I also have a few boxes of staples.
Make me an offer I can't refuse. I got it from a shop I worked in. We
used it to make exhibit displays. And occasionally to crate something. I
can send you pics and maybe even a video if you want.

If no one takes it..perhaps a trade for something?

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

I am feeling way to materialistic. I have too much stuff. Childs
nightmare cleaning up after dad. Except I have no kids. Well ok maybe I
will trade for a pair of used but servicable Dura-Ace 9 speed sti
shifters. I really need to get my garage sale web page up.

What is a Dura-Ace etc etc? Im pretty sure I dont have one. But I do
have several wooden drawers etc that I could use that stapler on.

And a new roof to put up before long.

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

High end bicycle parts.

That stapler is no good for roof shingles. I think but I am not sure but
no one appears to use staples for shingles where I live. I think that
there were to many roof failures because of excessive air pressure when
setting the staples. Or it could have been pullout strength was too low.
A cheap roofing nail gun works great with correct air pressure.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:25:45 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

What is a Dura-Ace etc etc? Im pretty sure I dont have one. But I do
have several wooden drawers etc that I could use that stapler on.

Dura-Ace sti shifters are a bicycle componant. They are the controls
you use to shift gears on a bike.

Mike (TDF junkie)
Hroller McKnutt
Pornstar, Mad Scientist, Genius for Hire
Girls chased and caught!

16 ga. nail gun pegleg Woodworking 13 December 10th 06 03:32 AM
Nail gun staples The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 03:01 PM
Which Nail Gun? poolq2010 Woodworking 11 February 9th 06 12:01 PM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM
Air compressor/nail gun question Geo Home Repair 3 June 27th 03 02:33 AM