Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cutting thin edge of plank

Hello

I am hoping someone can advise me of the most accurate way of cutting a
¼ strip of wood from a plank six feet long. I need to save the wood
strip for something else and the strip needs to be pretty much spot on.
I suppose a six feet straight edge (which I do not have) would be the
answer and then run a circular saw along it...
A six feet battern probably would not be accurate enough.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking

Before you cut can you take the time to find a bandsaw with a fence?
Your result will have less waste and less likelyhood of snapping off
than trying to cut such a narrow strip with a circular saw. Many of us
have cut 1/4 strips with a circular saw but have used metal or wood
straight edges so it sounds as if you don't have a lot of devices at
your disposal.
Is this batten from a sail? That might flex too much.
Hope you can find the bandsaw - that would be your best choice of tool
to use. Second to that would be a table saw which I think would be
more prevalent than the bandsaws.

Marc

wrote:
Hello

I am hoping someone can advise me of the most accurate way of cutting a
¼ strip of wood from a plank six feet long. I need to save the wood
strip for something else and the strip needs to be pretty much spot on.
I suppose a six feet straight edge (which I do not have) would be the
answer and then run a circular saw along it...
A six feet battern probably would not be accurate enough.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I am hoping someone can advise me of the most accurate way of cutting a
¼ strip of wood from a plank six feet long.

A table saw with a good fence and a knowledgeable operator is probably the
most "accurate" way, and probably the easiest/quickest as well ... although,
depending upon the wood, you could also do it with a quality circle saw, an
appropriate blade, and a good edge guide.

find someone who qualifies with the above ... a local cabinet shop, perhaps.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Before you cut can you take the time to find a bandsaw with a fence?
Your result will have less waste and less likelyhood of snapping off
than trying to cut such a narrow strip with a circular saw. Many of us
have cut 1/4 strips with a circular saw but have used metal or wood
straight edges so it sounds as if you don't have a lot of devices at
your disposal.
Is this batten from a sail? That might flex too much.
Hope you can find the bandsaw - that would be your best choice of tool
to use. Second to that would be a table saw which I think would be
more prevalent than the bandsaws.

Marc

Thanks for the advice. So other than a bandsaw a table saw would be a
good bet. I know someone who has one........

Cheers

wrote:
Hello

I am hoping someone can advise me of the most accurate way of cutting a
¼ strip of wood from a plank six feet long. I need to save the wood
strip for something else and the strip needs to be pretty much spot on.
I suppose a six feet straight edge (which I do not have) would be the
answer and then run a circular saw along it...
A six feet battern probably would not be accurate enough.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks very much

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I had this problem, I would cut a piece using the table saw and then pass
it through the planer, keeping the strip well supported as it transits the
planer.
Dave