Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cutting thin copper sheet

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

A woodworking blade should be able to cut thin copper. Sandwiching it
sounds like a good idea, assuming you use 1/4" or less plywood, although
probably not absolutely needed.

Jess.S

wrote:
I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would try
sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would try
sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's a
bit
hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder. I don't
know
what the thickness is. May use a gauge tomorrow to check it.
Ideally, a scroll saw would be nice, but I'm not sure if there is a
metal cutting blade to use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, papadoo1
@gmail.com says...

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would try
sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's a
bit
hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder. I don't
know
what the thickness is. May use a gauge tomorrow to check it.
Ideally, a scroll saw would be nice, but I'm not sure if there is a
metal cutting blade to use.

A scroll saw/jeweller's saw will work just fine - been there, done that (used
to cut out blanks from copper sheet for enamelling). Make yourself a base out
of a wee board with a keyhole shaped cutout (hard wood) that you can clamp to a
table or screw down on a bench, then cut the copper on that. No need for the
sandwich.
http://www9.yatego.com/images/415d0d...chen-klein.jpg
http://www.gerstaecker.de/Laubsagetischchen.htm

-P.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would try
sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's a
bit
hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder. I don't
know
what the thickness is. May use a gauge tomorrow to check it.
Ideally, a scroll saw would be nice, but I'm not sure if there is a
metal cutting blade to use.

there is little difference between cutting soft metals and wood. All you
need is more teeth per inch and more time.

What is wrong with a metal cutting scroll saw blade?

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...3&LARGEVIEW=ON

I used to have some metal blades for my ancient Delta. They might be
around somewhere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, " wrote:

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's a
bit hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder.

For simple round holes in thin copper, you can use a punch. Don't have one?
Make one. Steel tubing of the appropriate size, sharpened by tapering one end
with a grinder or a file.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "R. Pierce Butler" wrote:

If the copper is a bit thicker than a manila folder, then I figure it is
between .020 and .060 inches thick. That is going to be a tough punch.

Copper's pretty soft, actually...

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in
news:0DaOg.18854$r61.111 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

wrote:
R. Pierce Butler wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

I have a project that entails cutting thin copper sheeting.
There are small radii, too small and tight for snips.
I was thinking about using 2 pcs of plywood to sandwich
the copper with.
Has anyone had experience cutting it this way ?
Is there a metal cutting blade for a scroll saw ?

How big are the holes/radii? A scroll saw should work. I would
try sandwiching the copper like you thought.

Some of the holes are 1/2 in dia. I've tried aircraft snips & it's
a bit
hard cutting corners without leaving a saw-tooth edge.
The copper sheeting is a little thicker than a manila folder. I
don't know
what the thickness is. May use a gauge tomorrow to check it.
Ideally, a scroll saw would be nice, but I'm not sure if there is a
metal cutting blade to use.

Could you not get various sizes of square tubing and grind an edge
on all sides so its razor sharp and then use it as a punch to cut
the copper through?

If the copper is a bit thicker than a manila folder, then I figure it
is between .020 and .060 inches thick. That is going to be a tough
punch.

Them figures are not that thick and give you 100to1 it'll cut through
copper plate/tin of that thickness.
Copper is an easy material to cut and dent.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've done some really intricate patterns in thin copper using a bandsaw
with a thin blade. Enclosed cuts were done on a scroll saw. If you are
making multiples of the same pattern, a sandwich is the way to go. I
found that I could make a sandwich with four sheets of copper and five
sheets of luan/doorskin/etc. My favorite way of keeping everything
together was using a low grab spray adhesive like 3M 77. Coat all
surfaces. If your pattern is delicate, don't pry the sandwich apart.
Instead throw the sandwich in a container of thinner and let the
thinner dissolve the adhesive. Works like a charm.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Cutting thin metal on a scroll say is common. Blades are commonly
available. http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm
oups.com...

Cutting copper Steve B Home Repair 5 January 27th 06 06:00 AM
Cutting copper Steve B Metalworking 20 January 26th 06 03:21 AM
Happiness: cheapie jigsaw, metal-cutting blade, 2mm ali sheet, neat30cm circle! Stefek Zaba UK diy 6 May 1st 05 10:50 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM