Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Half-blind dovetail jig

I am currently looking for a dovetail jig
I can make them by hand but it takes me forever with lots of try and
error,
with a project with more than one drawer I would like to speed up the
process
a bit :-))

best ones seem to be the Leigh (D4R and D1600) but they are pricey....
and there is the PorterCable 4212 Dovetail Deluxe which seems pretty
versatile and would suit my most of my needs I think....BUT I don't
know how
the half-blind dovetail looked.....I like when the tails are 2/3rd the
thickness of the pins board.....is it possible with this jig?

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Racing.Mike wrote:

I am currently looking for a dovetail jig

snip

I recently bought the JET unit thru Amazon.

It was less than $40 after all the rebates.

Well built, makes repetitive dovetails; however, takes some time to
set it up properly.

IMHO, good unit for a hobbyist, totally unacceptable for a cabinet shop.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Racing.Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am currently looking for a dovetail jig
I can make them by hand but it takes me forever with lots of try and
error,
with a project with more than one drawer I would like to speed up the
process
a bit :-))

best ones seem to be the Leigh (D4R and D1600) but they are pricey....
and there is the PorterCable 4212 Dovetail Deluxe which seems pretty
versatile and would suit my most of my needs I think....BUT I don't
know how
the half-blind dovetail looked.....I like when the tails are 2/3rd the
thickness of the pins board.....is it possible with this jig?

Fixed-interval jigs are a touch, and I do mean just a touch limiting. You
make your drawer sides in multiples of bit diameter. No biggie, until you
go to make a flush drawer and find out the opening plus the traditional gap
isn't an even multiple.

Get a reversible drawer joint bit for the router and go for hold not gold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Racing.Mike" wrote in message

best ones seem to be the Leigh (D4R and D1600) but they are pricey....

There is a reason they are "pricey" ... they allow variable placement of
your joinery, and they are sufficiently accurate for multiple part
"production runs".

None of the less pricey ones, at least that I am aware of, will do both.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Racing.Mike wrote:
I am currently looking for a dovetail jig

I have the Porter-Cable and am very happy with it, although you
certainly don't have the versatility of the Leigh. Here is what your
dovetails look like with the Porter cable setup:

http://www.loyno.edu/%7Ecbmarsh/spaltedmaplebox.htm

I haven't figured out how to change them by using different bits....not
saying for sure it can't be done, though.

Charlie
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Racing.Mike" wrote in message

best ones seem to be the Leigh (D4R and D1600) but they are pricey....

There is a reason they are "pricey" ... they allow variable placement of
your joinery, and they are sufficiently accurate for multiple part
"production runs".

None of the less pricey ones, at least that I am aware of, will do both.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

well, I've decided to buy the Leigh D1600....lots of $$$ but I think I
will be better served as I usually do my dovetail by hands.....with
lots of stress and time :-)))

I did not find any other (meaning cheap) jig that can do half blind
dovetail whith 2/3 1/3 ratio.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Racing.Mike" wrote in message

well, I've decided to buy the Leigh D1600....lots of $$$ but I think I
will be better served as I usually do my dovetail by hands.....with
lots of stress and time :-)))

I did not find any other (meaning cheap) jig that can do half blind
dovetail whith 2/3 1/3 ratio.

My bet is that you'll be more than satisfied with what a Leigh will do for
your productivity.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

DOVETAIL JIG J T Woodworking 0 August 19th 06 06:16 PM
Trouble with half-blind dovetails Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 December 6th 05 05:26 PM
Minimum thickness for 1/2" half blind DT on 7116 Toller Woodworking 1 October 5th 05 05:07 AM
Through dovetails on a half blind template. toller Woodworking 1 January 2nd 05 08:13 PM
Need Dovetail Jig That Can Do Half-Blind and Through-Dovetails Jay Chan Woodworking 21 April 8th 04 04:11 AM