Posted to rec.woodworking

Default FS: Make Your Own Wye Adapters

Hey guys, as occasional poster here (look it up, I swear!) I hope I'm
not offending anyone with my items for sale. I see Ed sells his
excellent TS Aligner here, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've created templates with some CAD software that allow you to make
your own Wye adapters for your dust collection systems using cheap
ductwork that you buy from the borg.. When I put together my system
about 3 years ago, I made all the adapters and saved probably $300.
You can make one for about 5 bucks.

So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

You can see my dust collection and work shop at
http://www.areddy.net/wood/workshop.html

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Make Your Own Wye Adapters

"Larry Bud" wrote in message

So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

I don't doubt your credibility as a person frequenting this newsgroup; I do
recall your name. One of the things we all do here though, is share ideas.
Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $15 for some downloaded templates
and instructions but I wish you luck with the sales.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

I don't doubt your credibility as a person frequenting this newsgroup; I do
recall your name. One of the things we all do here though, is share ideas.
Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $15 for some downloaded templates
and instructions but I wish you luck with the sales.

That's fine. The CAD software was over 100 bucks, so I'm just trying
to recoup some of the cost. I figure since 1 Wye adapter is more than
$20, you can make as many as you want with the template.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

I don't doubt your credibility as a person frequenting this newsgroup; I do
recall your name. One of the things we all do here though, is share ideas.
Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $15 for some downloaded templates
and instructions but I wish you luck with the sales.

I seem to have seen these posted on a website for free download some
time back. I think I printed them from the pdf files. They should be
on one of my hard drives, unless the it's the one I left a gdisk floppy
on one time:-(
Joe
looking now
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe Gorman wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message
So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

I don't doubt your credibility as a person frequenting this newsgroup; I do
recall your name. One of the things we all do here though, is share ideas.
Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $15 for some downloaded templates
and instructions but I wish you luck with the sales.

I seem to have seen these posted on a website for free download some
time back. I think I printed them from the pdf files. They should be
on one of my hard drives, unless the it's the one I left a gdisk floppy
on one time:-(

Not from me. I created these from scratch from a sheet metal cad
program. It's pretty cool, you create your pieces, intersect them,
"subtract" the pieces from each other, and the program will "unfold"
the sheet metal, giving you the outline. But if you can find them for
free, more power to you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I, personally, applaud your effort as highly appropriate and in the best
interests of the Newsgroup. It provides a money-saving DIY approach to an
otherwise very expensive component of larger or 'in-between' size, all-metal
ducting systems. Anything that promotes more widespread use of effective
dust collection in woodworking shops has to be a good thing.

I do have some reservations, however, about relying on tape to permanently
join sheet metal butt-joints. I would suggest that you (or your users)
refine your templates a bit further to include multiple tabs that allow
joining with inexpensive pop-rivets. After (or before) the joints are
riveted, tape can be applied to prevent air leakage.

Obviously, anyone who objects to spending $15 for a set of your templates is
free to make his own templates using either CAD or manual drafting
techniques explained in any good drafting textbook. Hint: his templates
are less expensive than the textbook or a CAD program with automatic joint
development capabilities.

Disclaimer: I have no connection whatever to the OP (original poster).

David Merrill

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey guys, as occasional poster here (look it up, I swear!) I hope I'm
not offending anyone with my items for sale. I see Ed sells his
excellent TS Aligner here, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

I've created templates with some CAD software that allow you to make
your own Wye adapters for your dust collection systems using cheap
ductwork that you buy from the borg.. When I put together my system
about 3 years ago, I made all the adapters and saved probably $300.
You can make one for about 5 bucks.

So I finally got off my butt and wrote up on instructions on how all of
this is done, and would like to try to make a couple of bucks for my
efforts.

You can see my dust collection and work shop at
http://www.areddy.net/wood/workshop.html

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

ups.com...

David Merrill wrote:
[...]

Thank David. Certainly joints could be rivited, and I could probably
easily include "tabs" that could be cut out where the rivet could go.
I'll give it a try. I will say that I haven't had any problem with
the tape coming apart.

I guess I find it kinda funny that people would object to $15 when 1 Y
adapter costs more than that to buy, which is why I designed these for
myself in the first place. The idea of spending as much for a few Y
fittings as what my Jet DC costs made me choke (and not from the dust!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
I guess I find it kinda funny that people would object to $15 when 1 Y
adapter costs more than that to buy, which is why I designed these for
myself in the first place. The idea of spending as much for a few Y
fittings as what my Jet DC costs made me choke (and not from the dust!)

I sell my skills (as in my job), but I give away my knowledge. Just the way
I am, I guess. You get better rewards that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I sell my skills (as in my job), but I give away my knowledge. Just the way
I am, I guess. You get better rewards that way.

And the pity is, there are so many people who think rewards mean
money and/or power. If we could just get the bean counters to
"monetize" kindness, consideration for others, generosity, goodness
- maybe we'd have a lot more millionaires. For sure, the world would
be a better place to live in.

Here's what I don't understand about Larry's approach to things,
or at least his approach in this instance. He figured out how to
make his own sheet metal wye adapters and bough a CAD package
to do instructions on how to make them. That will allow him
to make more later, if need be, and not have to reinvent the
process/procedure. Makes sense - I often do the same thing.

But when I've got a set of instructions that works for me I
already have my ROI. I put them up on my WWing site 'cause
I can't lose them that way. If those instructions will get someone
else to try something they didn't think they could do, or makes
it easier for them to do it - well that's gravy.

I've had some great mentors. They shared a lot of technical
knowledge. But far more imporant - they demonstrated an
approach to life that worked very well for them - lend a hand
when you can. And the rewards? Well there are some things
moeny can't buy.

ED - good for you.

Laryy - good luck with your ebay endeavor.

charlie b