Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where to find Powermatic 64 bearings?

Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64?
Specifically an arbor and bearings?

I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the part
numbers (identified in the table saws manual) or even by trying to find by
description.

thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"trs80" wrote in message
Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64?
Specifically an arbor and bearings?

I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the
part numbers (identified in the table saws manual) or even by trying to
find by description.

thanks

The bearings ought to be standard parts. You just take them to a place
that sells bearings to find replacement parts. It isn't easy to do this
online.

As for the arbor: Powermatic is the best guess. If all it needs is a little
cleanup around where the bearings contact it, a machine shop could do
that.... Sure, it will cost money, but not nearly as much as a new saw.

Jim

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

The arbor is likely to only be available from Powermatic, so I can't offer
much help there, but the bearings should be available from a bearing
distributor near you. If you can't find a bearing distributor, try an
industrial supplier. Most big cities have both. The numbers that you will
need should be etched on the bearings, usually on the side along with the
manufacturers name. Something like Federal 7242 would have been made by
Federal Bearing. Clean the bearings real well and then use a reflecting
light to illuminate the sides of the bearing. An etched name and number or a
symbol and a number should be there. If you can find it, then it will be
easier to do your shopping by telephone. Take the old bearings with you to
compare with what they offer. If they don't have an exact replacement they
can usually find an identical replacement by another manufacturer. Many USA
manufacturers are now out of business, so it's quite likely that your
replacement will come from offshore under another name. They have cross
references too, but again, a side by side comparison is the best way to be
sure that your getting the right one. The price will likely be 1/3 - 1/2 of
what Powermatic will want for them, if they have them.

--
Charley

Powermatic 72 P.I._Maine Woodworking 9 February 8th 06 08:28 AM
12" powermatic TS Andrew V Woodworking 14 May 20th 05 02:51 PM
Powermatic owners in OR or No. CA Earl Woodturning 7 November 24th 04 04:39 AM
Powermatic 63 info Ben Woodworking 7 September 7th 04 10:44 PM
powermatic 45 edward h matson Woodturning 0 August 29th 04 05:13 AM