Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen Cabinet Supplier

Anyone know where I should go to find someone who will make decent
cabinets for fairly cheap? I want an upgrade from the home depot
preassembled one's, but I'd rather pay a fella locally to build them.

What should I look for in the phone book? Or should I even be looking
in the phone book?
How can i determine if they are reputable, and how much $$$ should I
give them up front to build them?

-Jason
KS

Posted to rec.woodworking

First you may want to look and cruise on the web for Canadian or US
manufacturers
One things I learned is now the cabinet doors are made in large plant using
mass production procedures.
Some are made in the US and Canada. More and more manufacturers and
re-sellers are dealing directly with China and other low cost labour
countries. In turn they adapt their designs and install their selected
hardware. Shipping is not a problem every thing is packed in flat boxes
(like Ikea) and shipped all over the world.
If you have the time, check with the Chinese embassy and others as who is
making kitchen cabinet in their country of origin.
Lots of CEO's and well dressed lawyers are buying their tailor made suits
right on the internet from Hong Kong and Taiwan.
The other solution is to make your own design and buy custom make doors
direct and make the framing and installation yourself.
If you feel you can have access to a good source of lumber and you have the
tools you can make your own cabinet.
After your design is completed you wail to make some prototypes and design
some jigs and fixtures to facilitate the making of your cabinet.
To recap. the best approach would be to buy custom made doors and do they
installation yourself.

"P.Thorsted" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:25:30 -0800, wrote:

Anyone know where I should go to find someone who will make decent
cabinets for fairly cheap? I want an upgrade from the home depot
preassembled one's, but I'd rather pay a fella locally to build them.

What should I look for in the phone book? Or should I even be looking
in the phone book?
How can i determine if they are reputable, and how much $$$ should I
give them up front to build them?

-Jason
KS

One thing you can always do, is ask the local guy for references. If he
will not give you any, run not walk away from him. The ones that do give
you references, call the people for an appointment and go see the quality
of the work they received and ask them about how happy they were using
that supplier.

Paul

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month
Only!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"P.Thorsted" writes:

One thing you can always do, is ask the local guy for references. If he
will not give you any, run not walk away from him. The ones that do give
you references, call the people for an appointment and go see the quality
of the work they received and ask them about how happy they were using
that supplier.

Always good to have references, but who the heck would ever give out bad
references? A guy could do 20 bad jobs and 100 bad ones and give out 10
references from the good jobs.

I suppose references are good if you actually want to see someone's work
other than the showroom.

Brian Elfert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 Jan 2007 12:25:30 -0800, "
wrote:

Anyone know where I should go to find someone who will make decent
cabinets for fairly cheap? I want an upgrade from the home depot
preassembled one's, but I'd rather pay a fella locally to build them.

Who or where you look might depend on what you need.
Do you need a finished cabinet built off site?
Do you need an unfinished cabinet built off site?
Do you need the cabinets installed?
Do you need someone to tear out and build cabinets onsite?

Some companies can and will do it all and some companies will just
build cabinets. Make sure you both have the same expectations.

If you know a good builder ask about the companies he uses.
Also you probably can find good cabinet shops in the phone book. In
either case, you'll need to do your own research about references and
quality.

Another thing I might mention is that I rarely have the chance to use
the words quality and cheap in the same sentence.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone know where I should go to find someone who will make decent
cabinets for fairly cheap? I want an upgrade from the home depot
preassembled one's, but I'd rather pay a fella locally to build them.

Am reminded of the business card that has the following printed on it:

"Good", "Fast", "Cheap", pick any two.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Anyone know where I should go to find someone who will make decent
cabinets for fairly cheap? I want an upgrade from the home depot
preassembled one's, but I'd rather pay a fella locally to build them.

What should I look for in the phone book? Or should I even be looking
in the phone book?
How can i determine if they are reputable, and how much $$$ should I
give them up front to build them?

-Jason
KS

All,
beware of a cabinet company called Gourmet Kitchens Design based out of
Sacramento, CA and has an office in Danville, ca. The owner Rick is a
crook, who writes bad checks. He is untrustworthy and does not do
anything he says he is contracted for. His customer service is the
worst and when you confornt him he lies. His wife Cathy is suspect as
well, only because she probably doesn't know what he does. This
company shafted me on kitchen cabinets worth 100,000 just becuase of
his design mistakes and his inability to fix them. almost two years
later I now have to turn him into the DA's office for writing bad
checks. Stay away

Try Gourmet Kitchens Design based out of
Sacramento, CA they should be within 3500 miles of you......

Tin Woodsmn
(Couldn't resist.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Am reminded of the business card that has the following printed on it:

"Good", "Fast", "Cheap", pick any two.

Nowadays you only get to pick one.