Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen cabinet supplier

We're planning on a kitchen remodel in the very near future. We're
concerned as to where to get our cabinets or if off-the-shelf boxed
cabinets will do our job. The plan involves new cabinets in a 30ft x
20 ft kitchen.

The layout is like this:

-------------------

| |
| |

xxxxxxxxxx
yyyyyyyyyy

where the "x"'s and 'y's represent a bar that will have no cabinets
above it, and we're not sure exactly how this is done, will we have to
have a special made deep cabinet for this bar? we're planning on it
being about 54" deep and raising the 'y' portion to 39" for bar height.

Could we expect to be able to do a few cabinets out of the boxes from
home depot and have a special-order made with the same species of wood?
Or is this something that we can do with just the boxed product sold
at homedepot for example.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That is one big frickin kitchen.

I'd guess Lowes or HD would be very happy to work with you on an order
of that size. They do sell prefab cabinets off the shelf and maybe
could order ones to match.

Two tangential things -

1) 20x30 is a monstrous kitchen, larger than most people would want.
Half that is a big kitchen, I'd bet 95% of all homes have kitchens
smaller than 20x15.

2) If want to construct the kitchen in such a way as to someday
potentially attract buyers who want a big kitchen, those would be
high-end buyers, who would probably expect high-end cabinets, not the
ones on the shelf at Lowes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a very good point about high-end stuff... but the reason we're
doing this is because we love the house and never plan to sell it...
even though it's only 3 bed 2 bath.

20x30 includes a "laundry" nook, and we're going to have to build
cabinets around the freezer, two external doors and a double window as
well, it really doesn't feel like that big of a room when you're in it.