Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table saw Arbor wobble

Recently I notice a slight wobble in the 10" blades. If I have tried a few
blades, some brand new and all have a bit of wobble in them. They cut ok
but Im wondering if the wobble is something that can or should be fixed?
Using a wobbly dado causes the saw to shake badly so it cant even be used.

Its a Powermatic 64 contractor saw.

Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:
Recently I notice a slight wobble in the 10" blades. If I have tried a few
blades, some brand new and all have a bit of wobble in them. They cut ok
but Im wondering if the wobble is something that can or should be fixed?
Using a wobbly dado causes the saw to shake badly so it cant even be used.

Its a Powermatic 64 contractor saw.

Any thoughts?

yup, find out why its wobbling !

I would check the arbor mounting and bearings. See if anything is
coming loose or the bearings are badly worn .

Are you sure your blade is mounting correctly. ? that is , tightening
up fully.

The dado blade is showing the fault more because of its higher weight
and maybe distance from the supporting bearing.

I wouldnt use the saw in that condition myself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 22:27:01 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

Recently I notice a slight wobble in the 10" blades. If I have tried a few
blades, some brand new and all have a bit of wobble in them. They cut ok
but Im wondering if the wobble is something that can or should be fixed?
Using a wobbly dado causes the saw to shake badly so it cant even be used.

Its a Powermatic 64 contractor saw.

You might see if you can feel any play in the arbor bearings. Un-plug
the saw, pull the blade off and grab the yoke with one hand (you might
have to reach under the top from the back) then grab the arbor shaft
with the other and pull up down front back to see if you can feel any
slop between the two . If so, it's time for bearings.

Did you have any accidents or kick-backs prior to noticing the
problem?

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Get yourself a low cost dial indicator and check the flange and the
arbor for runout. I have some video demonstrating how this is done.

http://www.ts-aligner.com/videos.htm

It's in the "Table Saw" section. The video shows how it's done with a
TS-Aligner Jr. but you can use an ordinary magnetic base or make your
own fixturing to perform the same tasks. The wobble might be caused by
a lot of different things, some dangerous and some harmless. In either
case, it will adversely affect the quality of your cuts. You might
just find a dirty or dinged flange, loose arbor (all easy to fix), a
bent arbor, or bad bearings (a bit more difficult). No telling until
the measurements are made. If you have seen it on several blades then
it's not too likely to be a blade problem (unless you have managed to
do the exact same damage to all your blades).

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help or if I can answer
any questions.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

trs80 wrote:
no incidents with the saw. I first noticed the problem several weeks ago
when I tried to used a wobbly dado. I try to see if I can feel play in the
arbor.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64?
Specifically an arbor and bearings?

I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the part
numbers provided in the manual or even by trying to find by description.

thanks

oups.com...

trs80 wrote:
no incidents with the saw. I first noticed the problem several weeks ago
when I tried to used a wobbly dado. I try to see if I can feel play in
the
arbor.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, have you determined the problem? I went out to the Powermatic
site. The parts section is run by WMH tool group (Jet, Wilton,
Powermatic, Performax, Columbian, Polishmaster, Waxmaster). It looks
like they have only 16 Powermatic items listed in the parts list. I
found this information on the Powermatic home web site:

CUSTOMER SUPPORT
All times shown are CST, Monday - Friday

Consumer Relations
800.274.6848 - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Technical Service
800.274.6846 - 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM
Distributor Hotline
888.804.7129 - 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM

Specific Powermatic-related Questions or Comments

You might be able to order the parts over the phone. They may require
you to buy them from your local authorized service provider. I don't
know. Best to give them a call.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

trs80 wrote:
Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64?
Specifically an arbor and bearings?

I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the part
numbers provided in the manual or even by trying to find by description.

thanks

oups.com...

trs80 wrote:
no incidents with the saw. I first noticed the problem several weeks ago
when I tried to used a wobbly dado. I try to see if I can feel play in
the
arbor.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

if you go to any of hte parts listed they take you to a complete product
like table saw. Their parts site is completely useless. It will require a
call....thanks for the info.

I did find the problem. The wobbly dado was missing a sleeve insert that
allowed it to fit properly on the 5/8 arbor. Luckily I had another sleeve
and now hte wobbly dado works fine. I think the 10' blade runout I see has
always been there. I could not induce any play in the arbor so I bet the
wobble I see is probably within or close to spec since the saw cuts fine.

The original sleeve was probably dropped on floor during a saw blade
organization project putting them on dowel hangers and swept up into
garbage.

oups.com...

trs80 wrote:
Is there a place online or other to find parts for a Powermatic 64?
Specifically an arbor and bearings?

I looked on the Powermatic site and it came up empty when entering the
part
numbers provided in the manual or even by trying to find by description.

thanks

oups.com...

trs80 wrote:
no incidents with the saw. I first noticed the problem several weeks
ago
when I tried to used a wobbly dado. I try to see if I can feel play
in
the
arbor.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Glad to hear that you figured out the problem with the dado.

With regard to the runout on your other blades: if you can see it with
unaided eyes, then it's WAY, WAY too much. Ideally, it should be no
more than a couple of thousandths of an inch.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

trs80 wrote:
if you go to any of hte parts listed they take you to a complete product
like table saw. Their parts site is completely useless. It will require a
call....thanks for the info.

I did find the problem. The wobbly dado was missing a sleeve insert that
allowed it to fit properly on the 5/8 arbor. Luckily I had another sleeve
and now hte wobbly dado works fine. I think the 10' blade runout I see has
always been there. I could not induce any play in the arbor so I bet the
wobble I see is probably within or close to spec since the saw cuts fine.

The original sleeve was probably dropped on floor during a saw blade
organization project putting them on dowel hangers and swept up into
garbage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ok.. good point. Its worth replacing the bearings to see if that improves
it. Otherwise I really dont have any cutting problems.
ups.com...

trs80 wrote:
if you go to any of hte parts listed they take you to a complete product
like table saw. Their parts site is completely useless. It will require
call....thanks for the info.

I did find the problem. The wobbly dado was missing a sleeve insert that
allowed it to fit properly on the 5/8 arbor. Luckily I had another
sleeve
and now hte wobbly dado works fine. I think the 10' blade runout I see
has
always been there. I could not induce any play in the arbor so I bet the
wobble I see is probably within or close to spec since the saw cuts fine.

The original sleeve was probably dropped on floor during a saw blade
organization project putting them on dowel hangers and swept up into
garbage.

removing woodruff key table saw arbor Jane Woodworking 5 October 3rd 05 11:24 PM
longer arbor for Dewalt table saw? Mike King Woodworking 1 January 28th 05 02:23 PM
Table saw arbor adapte 1ko Woodworking 2 January 23rd 05 03:55 AM
photo of Gorton 9J mill with wobble table Uncle Lucky Metalworking 0 July 29th 04 05:18 PM
urgent-getting arbor pulley off of Jet table saw Alan W Woodworking 18 October 2nd 03 04:23 AM