Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Normite becomes part-neander

Yup, Santa brought me my first plane, a Veritas block plane. Now I just
need to learn how to use the thing. :-)

Oh, and I need to get a vise and drill dog holes in my workbench. The
tool buying never ends...

--
Vince Heuring. To email, remove the Vince.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Vince Heuring" wrote in message
om...

Yup, Santa brought me my first plane, a Veritas block plane. Now I just
need to learn how to use the thing. :-)

Woodcraft sells a book called PLANECRAFT. IMHO, it is worth the money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vince Heuring wrote:
Yup, Santa brought me my first plane, a Veritas block plane. Now I just
need to learn how to use the thing. :-)

Oh, and I need to get a vise and drill dog holes in my workbench. The
tool buying never ends...

Chances are your sharpening department will inflate too. If you don't
already have them, go right to water stones and skip the
sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone seems to end up
anyway.) And of course the sharpening jigs...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:28:50 -0500, Gordon Airporte
wrote:

Vince Heuring wrote:
Yup, Santa brought me my first plane, a Veritas block plane. Now I just
need to learn how to use the thing. :-)

Oh, and I need to get a vise and drill dog holes in my workbench. The
tool buying never ends...

Chances are your sharpening department will inflate too. If you don't
already have them, go right to water stones and skip the
sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone seems to end up
anyway.) And of course the sharpening jigs...

Holy crap! The quantity of sharpening stuff accumulated over a
lifetime of woodworking adds up to quite a lot of $ and can take up a
good bit of space too.

oil stones, waterstones, sandpaper/glass plate system, honing guides
for the previous 3, Then there's the Tormek and it's associated jigs,
etc., etc. Yikes.

Personally, I use a Tormek. Most of the time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What is your reasoning behind that ???

Do you really feel like the stones are that
superior to sandpaper and glass ?

Gordon Airporte wrote:

If you don't already have them, go right to water stones
and skip the sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone
seems to end up anyway.)

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

No, they're not. Sharpening on sandpaper works just fine. So do water
stones, ceramic stones, oil stones and diamond stones.
"Pat Barber" wrote in message
What is your reasoning behind that ???

Do you really feel like the stones are that
superior to sandpaper and glass ?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Pat Barber wrote:

If you don't already have them, go right to water stones
and skip the sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone
seems to end up anyway.)

BTDT, but I'd recommend sandpaper-and-glass (scary sharp) to a beginner.
The method is inexpensive and one can easily learn and understand the
effect of a progression of grit sizes on sharpening speed and the
resultant edge.

After learning these lessons, use whatever works.

(Just bought an Ice Bear 4k stone to replace my worn out King 4k stone.)

--
"Keep your ass behind you."